Little idea help folks

Jim Burr

So another smaller mill for the shop and I'm not happy with the top. Narrower, shorter....just don't know. The collective mind is far better than my 2-3 brain cells left in the cellar. Many thanks
0ee32a962d835bf7551472f3b82a09ac.jpg

Well I guess I am #3. I was going to suggest that the top be thinner and sort of like the top of a mushroom.

As my wife's brother would say, "Well that's one darned fools opinion." Actually I edited that quote by a couple letters.

I really like the wood and the body shape.

Enjoy,
JimB

Whatever style the top is, be sure that a woman with small hands can make it work easily. I've made several tops that were right for me but uncomfortable for small or arthritic hands. There's a sweet spot there somewhere....ya just gotta find it.

It actually looks kind of like the handle end of a baseball bat. Which leads me to think, Why not make it look just like the end of a baseball bat. Maybe a baseball fan would like it? Maybe laser engrave it with the Reno Aces logo? Just to let them know you could custom make it with any baseball logo? Of course, I have no idea on the legality of that sort of thing or whether it is patentable. :rolleyes:

I agree with rounding the top but also making sure that the resulting diameter of the top is visibly as well as actually smaller than the major diameter of the bottom. Right now to me it looks top heavy.

If you were to turn the top spherical or ovoid I think it would be more pleasing to the eye. If you were to round the top so that at the bottom of the top it tucked in at the chamfer point of the base I think that would look better.

Last edited:
I agree with the others about rounding the top. When I first looked at the mill I thought the bottom looked good but the top was a little large and not cohesive.
Just referring to the top itself, the sides, the top and the bottom of it look like they're unrelated to each other. Rounding it more will fix that. Think of the top of a button mushroom. To me, that shape would work with that base.
Of course, my opinion's worth no more than you paid for it, possibly less. ;)

Your backdrop could have better contrast with the area in question, bro. That said, the flat top is not congruent with the other lines in the piece. The flat top could compliment the flat bottom if it were in a proportion other than appearing to be larger or the same diameter. But the best would be to take away the flat top all together.

And if the lack of contrast makes this point mute, well..... :D

I originally thought it was milk bottle shaped, but when the baseball bat example was given I agree 100%. So, a baseball with the bat is what I envision which means the top needs more roundness (if that is a word), spherical.

...the flat top is not congruent with the other lines in the piece. The flat top could compliment the flat bottom if it were in a proportion other than appearing to be larger or the same diameter. But the best would be to take away the flat top all together...

I agree with Carol. There is a "shoulder" on both the top and the bottom of the knob. The diameter at the bottom of the knob looks smaller than the diameter at the top. I'd try to make the knob more symmetrical.