Meet Kristian

Well Kristian will have to be started again. Got to carried away while watching Pats game and cut too much off without looking at image i was following.
Sadly was not paying proper attention and cut the whole ridge off that was to be part of his nose thinking (yeah should do less of that) it was in the wrong place after bandsawing block.

I am using this book
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/1565235185/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/179-7662628-5439413

But will persevere and make do best i can when i pick up on it again.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Do not throw it away Rob. If you go back at it some time in the future you'll find a way to change the shape of the head and make the most out of it. Remember the art of the good barber is to get side burns from a place where there is no hair, and that applies to carving.

I can imagine you with a hipster beard, sitting on a porch in a summer afternoon, swinging in a rocker with a pipe in your mouth and a piece of Wood in your hand whittling those Little characters, with several kids around you while you tell the story related to the character...:rolleyes:

Do not throw it away Rob. If you go back at it some time in the future you'll find a way to change the shape of the head and make the most out of it.

Yeah, just make him have a boxers nose or pinch the cheeks in :D

Remember the art of the good barber is to get side burns from a place where there is no hair, and that applies to carving.

Thats a good turn of phrase I've never heard before. :thumb:

I convinced myself long ago that multitasking was not necessarily a good thing. Kept a sign on the office wall that said "Multitasking Makes You Stupid!" along with a reprint of a research study confirming what I had always thought. Whenever a boss started loading me up with ten things to do all at once, I'd point to the sign and ask if they wouldn't consider prioritizing their jobs 'cause I could give them ten poorly done jobs asap or ten great jobs one at a time.

multitasking-makes-you-stupid_opt.pngMultitasking.jpg

I convinced myself long ago that multitasking was not necessarily a good thing. Kept a sign on the office wall that said "Multitasking Makes You Stupid!" along with a reprint of a research study confirming what I had always thought. Whenever a boss started loading me up with ten things to do all at once, I'd point to the sign and ask if they wouldn't consider prioritizing their jobs 'cause I could give them ten poorly done jobs asap or ten great jobs one at a time.

View attachment 88958View attachment 88959

A man after my own heart!

Variations on these two have been on my work status message for a long time, not exactly the same but closely related:
http://www.futurity.org/top-stories/3-second-distraction-doubles-work-errors/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324339204578173252223022388
"Once thrown off track, it can take some 23 minutes for a worker to return to the original task"

Also rather vociferously not a fan of the open office concept.

Some days I just give up and read FWWing :rolleyes: Or you know meetings.. like I'm in now... :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Glad I wasn't whittling while watching that game. I would have done serious injury to myself at the end. Looks like fun, Rob. Something I have no talent for, but still I really enjoy sitting around a fire and whittling. Nothing good comes of it but I still enjoy.

So you cut off his nose to spite his face? I agree with the glue it back on, but then carve it into a bandaid and have a good story for it.

Now, maybe someone can tell me what is the difference between carving and whittling? Is it the number of tools used?

So you cut off his nose to spite his face? I agree with the glue it back on, but then carve it into a bandaid and have a good story for it.

Now, maybe someone can tell me what is the difference between carving and whittling? Is it the number of tools used?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittling
"Occasionally the terms "whittling" and "carving" are used interchangeably, but they are different arts. Carving employs the use of chisels, gouges, and a mallet, while whittling involves only the use of a knife"

So basically is a sophistication versus sophistry debate.

Meet Kristian 2.0

Well i never gave up and here is the result. Not what was in the book but hey its good enough in my books for my first ever person whittling.
uploadfromtaptalk1423688036072.jpguploadfromtaptalk1423688000772.jpguploadfromtaptalk1423688014392.jpguploadfromtaptalk1423688024852.jpguploadfromtaptalk1423687985926.jpg

What has amazed me is just what one can do with a single good blade. Have not as yet pulled out the extra tools thia knife has to offer. So far all done with the blade u see.
I encourage all to try this out. Its a wonderful stress reliever and teacher of patience and wood grain ;)
Enjoy, now i can have a go at Loras Mule Deer.

The thing that really struck me is when working on humans you really have to watch the symmetry and its a test to be doing two sides with one tool and having to carve one way on one side and flip the work to go at it on the other side from a different direction to avoid grain tear. This aspect really messed me up.

BTW for what its worth this book is not great at all. Its got very very little guidance as to how to go about doing it.
Have been disappointed in the book. Better info online but the book got me off the ground.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited: