2015 state fair clock

Dan Noren

Staff member
can't get started too early i guess. i'll be using the original idea for the client's mantel clock, only reversing it a bit. i picked out some nicely figured white oak for the upright parts, and some nicely grained walnut for the base. for the clock insert, i'll be going with the same, but with the gold bezel. i will be going with a gloss wipe on poly finish.

Attachments

• mantel clock idea rendered.jpg
    mantel clock idea rendered.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 001 white oak for the upright parts.jpg
    001 white oak for the upright parts.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 002 walnut to be used for the base.jpg
    002 walnut to be used for the base.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 44
i liked the version that i did for my client so much, that i am going with it. keeping the same walnut base, and white oak upright parts. when i cut the base for my client's clock, i cut the base for this one at the same time, so no need to set up to make the same cuts at a later time. yesterday i planed the white oak to thickness, and laid out the outlines of the upright parts. as with the clock for the client (and as my cnc machine is still a bit unreliable), i'm going to have the local cabinet shop do the indent cut for the clock works on their cnc machine.

Attachments

• 003 state fair base cut.jpg
    003 state fair base cut.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 004 upright parts laid out.jpg
    004 upright parts laid out.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 20
now that i have the inset for the clock insert milled, and the cnc machine somewhat under control, i hit this one pretty good today. planed the white oak down from 1.125" down to an inch even. then i took to the table saw, and split the 2 parts. then it was the fun of cutting the tenons. with that out of the way, it was over to the band saw to rough cut the upright parts, then sand the edges to the marked lines. after a bit of a break, laid out the locations for the mortises on the base, and cut them. then it was time for a test fit. now all that is left is to do the sanding, assembling, and finishing. i liked the look of the blo and satin wipe on poly so much, that will be the finish for this one too.

Attachments

• 009 first test fit.jpg
    009 first test fit.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 008 mortises cut in base.jpg
    008 mortises cut in base.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 007 cut to shape and sanded.jpg
    007 cut to shape and sanded.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 006 tenon shoulders cut.jpg
    006 tenon shoulders cut.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 21
  • 005 parts separated and start of tenons.jpg
    005 parts separated and start of tenons.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 21
spared a bit of time away from the cnc this weekend, and got it all hand sanded down to 220. all glued up now, just waiting to hit it with the oil, and the wipe on poly over the next few days.

Attachments

• 010 sanded and assembled.jpg
    010 sanded and assembled.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 26
you got that right vaughn, even more so with the first coat of wipe on poly on it. tomorrow is the second coat, thursday is the third, friday a bit of johnson's paste wax, install the clock works, and ready for the fair.

Attachments

• 012 first coat of wipe on poly.jpg
    012 first coat of wipe on poly.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 21
last coat of poly went on very early this morning, and ready for waxing tonight. all waxed, clock inserted, and ready for the fair.

Attachments

• 013 finished clock.jpg
    013 finished clock.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 29
That came out really great Dan!

I like it very much although I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about the dial. Being the shape so modern looking I feel that the dial is too classical for it, but this is only my taste.