For the pen turners...would you finish this?

Tom Baugues

I actually got out in my shop today. First time in months. Anyway, I set out to turn a simple slimline pen using a sycamore blank I had. All was going well until I noticed this when I was nearly done. I didn't notice any worm holes in the blank before I started it but it is clearly there now.
Would you finish this pen or toss it out and just start over with a new blank. The pen is just a slimline for myself. Nothing to sell.
wormhole 2 (Medium).JPG

Tom I would say as long as it does not bother you every time you look at it go for it, I'd drop a little C/A in there and sand it to fill it in and you would probably never know it was there. Nice looking pen. :thumb:Well done.

Heck yes I would keep it! That is the difference between production and handmade! I on purpose have students drill out wood blanks and then drill holes in the blank and fill with colored powders from the cactus pen kits. The angles of the holes really create unusual looking pens. We have had bugs come out of wood and funny thing, they acted dizzy!!:eek::huh::rofl::rofl:

I'd toss it...back on the lathe and finish it!

I don't know if I'd even try to fill the holes. I think they add something neat to the pen.

I don't do pens much any more, but I would finish it and not worry about the little holes..... I do a lot of bowls that will have worm holes or places where the worms have gone through and left sawdust behind... a drop of Ca seals the hole and that bowl usually gets more attention and often sells better than one that's perfect with no holes...