Might Be Time...

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
...to buy my brother-in-law some new blades for his Sawzall. :rofl:

Here are three blades I pretty much toasted a couple of days ago installing a doggie door through a stucco wall. These were all good quality bi-metal Lennox blades. Two of them were "plaster" blades and the third was a "demolition" blade. By the time I got the hole cut in the exterior wall, they were more like "plastered" and "demolished" blades. :D These are shown in reverse order. The first one that I used is shown on the bottom of the photo. I just about busted a gut laughing so hard when I pulled the blade out of the wall and saw the total lack of teeth. Kinda explained why the cutting had slowed down so much. :doh: :)

Blades%20800.jpg

Nice butter knives. :thumb: For stucco, you might try a 4" or 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond/masonary blade, will make quick work of the stone, then cut through with the sawzall.

Hummm...three new parting tools!:thumb:

:rofl:

Reminds me of when the guy came out to install the long haul wireless at the house. He was trying to use a regular drill bit to go through the concrete siding. I kept saying "you'll need a concrete bit", when he pulled the bit out of the wall the tip just glowed red.

I have never seen anything so worn...

You've apparently never seen my face. :eek: :rofl:

This was may first time trying to cut stucco walls, so I now know to check the blade more frequently. I like Larry's idea of a space block, too. Once I realized that the blades were dulling in that zone, I did try to cut with the saw lifted off the wall an inch or so to use the sharper teeth, but the spacer is a better idea. The first blade (the one on the bottom of the pic) was still cutting, but the progress was slow. :doh: I didn't realise it before this project but the stucco is between 1" and 1 1/4" thick. That's like a thin concrete wall.

This project was a warm-up for another hole in the stucco wall, which will be for a range hood vent that needs to go out the wall behind the stove. That project will be coming up in the near future. ;)

on your next one vaughn cut the stucco with a dry cut diamond blade in a 4 " grinder then if you have wood structure behind it cut that with saws all blades.

I'd love to, but I haven't uncovered my angle grinder yet in the storage locker. Plus, I'll bet I can buy a handful of Lennox blades for the price of a diamond masonry blade. The next hole will be about 12" x 4". Should be easy compared to the 12 1/2" x 20" doggie door hole. ;)

I'd love to, but I haven't uncovered my angle grinder yet in the storage locker. Plus, I'll bet I can buy a handful of Lennox blades for the price of a diamond masonry blade. The next hole will be about 12" x 4". Should be easy compared to the 12 1/2" x 20" doggie door hole. ;)

Not the diamond one...the abrasive, black, 1/8" thick dodad...they don't last long, but one will do a doggie door!

hey jim you would think that if you moved from one house to another that the first things you unpacked would be the tools ,,after the bed of course.. yu always got stuff to fix:)