Getting Closer! - Received!!!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I've been looking at the Shapeoko system for two or three years and am getting close to pulling the trigger. After a fair amount of studying, I'm seriously considering ordering the package they call "The Works" minus a couple of individual items. To that, I'll add the 1000mm x 1000mm expansion kit so I can build it larger from the get-go. At least that's my thinking for now, until someone steers me a different direction.

Inventables recommends "Easel" software since it includes all aspects of that one needs, but it seems kinda clunky. What software do you suggest using?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Bill,

I just looked at it a little bit.

Looks pretty cool and the price is certainly right to get into some fun stuff.

I would suggest the NEMA 23 at a minimum - and something more robust than a dremel

There will still be a bit of learning but it looks like they simplified a lot of stuff.

I think there is a LOT that can be done with it.

Bill, right now I am in the process of putting together a shapeoko 2. I am going with the 500mm wide by 1800mm long. So far so good, a lot of parts to assemble, but well worth the time. I too went with the works version. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Bill, right now I am in the process of putting together a shapeoko 2. I am going with the 500mm wide by 1800mm long. So far so good, a lot of parts to assemble, but well worth the time. I too went with the works version. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Dan, I saw your thread about starting your build and am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Is the 500mm by 1800mm the total footprint of your system?

Did you get the expansion upgrade to get the additional extrusions to make a larger system?

Are you using the standard NEMA17 steppers?

What software are you using?

... I would suggest the NEMA 23 at a minimum - and something more robust than a dremel ...

NEMA17 is used for the stepper motors and should be plenty for the size unit I plan. But, I'm looking at the upgrade to NEMA23.

A generic "Dremel" is used as the spindle in the basic package. The "Works" package has a beefier spindle.

bill,

500mm x 1800mm is the overall footprint for the machine.

12 in x 36 in is roughly the size of the working area.

i got the expansion upgrade and ordered the longer rails.

i upgraded to the nema23 stepper motors.

i'm using a laptop running windows 7, also have linux on it as well, and the linuxcnc software.

got the better spindle with the upgrade.

get ready to assemble a lot of small parts, and tapping a few holes.

bill,

500mm x 1800mm is the overall footprint for the machine.

12 in x 36 in is roughly the size of the working area.

i got the expansion upgrade and ordered the longer rails.

i upgraded to the nema23 stepper motors.

i'm using a laptop running windows 7, also have linux on it as well, and the linuxcnc software.

got the better spindle with the upgrade.

get ready to assemble a lot of small parts, and tapping a few holes.

Yep - already figgered I'd be upgrading my reading glasses! :)

One thing I found by digging around the Inventables information is they have a package that includes the NEMA23 steppers rather than the NEMA17. I almost stumbled across it and it saves having to buy the upgrade seperately.

I'm planning to get enough MakerSlide to build my unit a little wider - nothing major, but maybe 16-20" wide by 40" long working area. Does that sound reasonable?

Last edited:
This is a timely post as I spent all evening on the Shapeoko site yesterday. I did not see the V3 until today. I want one but I want it to be a cut area of 18 X 40 with a upgraded quite spindle and Nema 23s and if they would have an upgrade for the touch off for bit setting would be GREAT

Well, that didn't take long! :)

Thanks to a telephone conversation with Dan Noren and with Paul at Inventables, I finalized my shopping cart and pushed the button for my order. Now, to tweak a couple of things in my shop to be ready for the fun!

Further research into options for the Shapeoko 2 systems at Inventables led me to an unadvertised package option. The "Full" kit includes the "Mechanical" kit plus electrical components including NEMA 17 stepper motors. Another option is a NEMA 23 stepper kit that is the same as the electronics in the "Full" kit plus the "Mechanical" kit.

I also ordered the 1000mm by 1000mm expansion kit plus two 1800mm MakerSlides so I'll have the flexibility to enlarge the system as much as I plan. I dropped the Waste Board - $103 for a hunk of MDF? Don't think so!

More as it develops. Yeah, yeah... no photos, it ain't happening!

That should keep ya busy Tom! Can't wait to see what you create with it. :thumb:

BTW...what do you plan on using it for the most?

Ohhhh this is so exciting to watch so many people starting to play with CNC.

The main reason to get the larger steppers is to at least try to avoid "lost steps". That can ruin a project and get major frustrating.

sweet stuff

This is a timely post as I spent all evening on the Shapeoko site yesterday. I did not see the V3 until today. I want one but I want it to be a cut area of 18 X 40 with a upgraded quite spindle and Nema 23s and if they would have an upgrade for the touch off for bit setting would be GREAT

I decided to go with the current V2 because it will do what I want. There's not enough available information on V3.

For a cutting area of 18"x40", the X-axis MakerSlide will have to be extended from 500mm to 660mm; the Y-axis MakerSlide will need to be changed from 500mm to 1220mm. I'm planning to make mine handle a width of 18-20" and length of 48-54". To give me that capability, I ordered the 1000mmx1000mm Upgrade Kit and added two 1800mm MakerSlides to use for the additional length. I'll have to cut down the 1000mm and 1800mm pieces to fit my final build size.

On the NEMA 23 motors, Inventables has kit you have to ask for specifically. It's like the Full Kit on their web page, but has 23s rather than 17s. It's cheaper than buying the regular full kit, then buying the NEMA 23 Upgrade.