new cnc machine startover post....

Dan Noren

Staff member
it would seem that my thread with the cnc startup pics has gone by the boards. so, here we go again! got the bench made and ready to go a while back. i'll have to modify it a bit to fit the 1.8 meter rails. then the fun began. there was a long box, and a flat box. seems the flat box had all of the upgrade parts, and the long box had all of the regular parts, along with the longer rails. tuesday i started putting the v wheels and pulleys together (sorry, no pics there), and wednesday i put together the four carriages. more pics to follow when more is done.

Attachments

• 001 cnc machine bench.jpg
    001 cnc machine bench.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 002 long box.jpg
    002 long box.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 003 white box.jpg
    003 white box.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 004 white box contents.jpg
    004 white box contents.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 005 long box contents pt 1.jpg
    005 long box contents pt 1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 006 long box contents pt 2.jpg
    006 long box contents pt 2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 007 long box contents pt 2 close up.jpg
    007 long box contents pt 2 close up.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 008 carriage assemblies.jpg
    008 carriage assemblies.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 48
got a bit more done the last couple of days. got the spindle carriage assembly put together, and my brother did the tapping of the screw holes in the ends of the aluminium extrusions. soon it will be the testing out of the electronics.

darren, it uses a belt drive for the carriage, and a threaded rod to drive the z axis.

Attachments

• 010 spindle carriage assembly b.jpg
    010 spindle carriage assembly b.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 009 spindle carriage assembly a.jpg
    009 spindle carriage assembly a.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 29
finished up the z axis subassembly today, and added the spindle carriage to it. more tonight or tomorrow....

Attachments

• 011 z axis sub assembly with spindle carriage.jpg
    011 z axis sub assembly with spindle carriage.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 26
had a few minutes to rub together last night and finished off the sub gantry assembly, and added the spindle carriage.

Attachments

• 012 start of sub gantry assembly.jpg
    012 start of sub gantry assembly.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 013 sub gantry assembled.jpg
    013 sub gantry assembled.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 014 finished sub gantry.jpg
    014 finished sub gantry.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 27
ok, here we go! added the motors to the sides of the gantry, and the back of the z axis assembly. the motors on the ends of the gantry control the back and forth on the y axis (for my build, the long way), and the one on the back of the z axis assembly controls the back and forth along the short way. now on to the assembly of the y axis frames, and then we go on hold until i get the 3/4 inch mdf to replace the standard base.

Attachments

• 016 fully assembled gantry front.jpg
    016 fully assembled gantry front.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 017 fully assembled gantry back.jpg
    017 fully assembled gantry back.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22
got as far as i did, when i found out there was a bit of miscommunication, and i didn't get the 1800 mm maker slides, but got the 1500 mm extrusions (if you need any extrusion bill, let me know :D). then i got myself a bit more active today, and decided to go forth with the stock maker slides (500 mm). long story short, all the parts fit, and now i just have to wait for the longer maker slides. what i'm planning on doing with them when they get here, is to cut them a bit longer than the 48 inches of the bench, then finish off the machine when it is on the bench (much better than on the floor). i've picked up the mid-rail supports, and ordered a new bandsaw blade from grizzly to cut the maker slides to length. now my wife :blah: can see what the machine looks like fully assembled.

Attachments

• 018 all parts fit.jpg
    018 all parts fit.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 17