How did it get to be Friday again so quickly???

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Finished the design for the forklift for my tractor. Now to draw the building plans. Working the day job all weekend though and getting ready for an out of town conference next week. Somehow this part-time gig has grown to way more than part-time. Cutting way back after the conference. Everyone has been alerted. They agree. But we will see when push comes to shove. Time for me to set my boots in concrete and become immovable on the subject. :thumb:

And one more thing. Discovered I need to deal with high blood pressure, so the dialing in of meds is underway. Started with 1/3 of the suggested dosage. Came down a bunch. Swelling in feet and ankles nearly gone after just a few days. Today I introduce 2/3 for a while and see what it will settle into at that rate. When my Mom did this, she was at the recommended dosage and was throttled so far down she was doing nothing. My brother who is a retired pharmacist had her begin decreasing the dosage. After two years she was off of it all together. Two years later her doctor asked her why she wasn't filling her blood pressure medicine prescription. She told hm she had quit that stuff 2 years before! Lived to be 91.

Last edited:
Whe you get to our age, Carol, the hours drag, and the weeks fly. Since my boatbuilding project is 'finished,' I think I may get some stones out and sharpen plane and chisel blades. It relieves some frustration.

When my Mom did this, she was at the recommended dosage and was throttled so far down she was doing nothing. My brother who is a retired pharmacist had her begin decreasing the dosage. After two years she was off of it all together. Two years later her doctor asked her why she wasn't filling her blood pressure medicine prescription. She told hm she had quit that stuff 2 years before! Lived to be 91.

Your mom sounds a lot like a friend of my step father's... my step father passed away at 95...he was a Texas farmer/Rancher and was still running 400 head of cattle when he died... he and his 65 year old son both had hip replacements on the same day... Arthur my step-father was up and around in 4 days... Kenneth took a week before he was up.... but that another story... Arther went home after about 6 days in the hospital and discovered he went home with pneumonia and died a week later. At his funeral one of his close friends of about the same age was sitting in the receiving line and some one asked him how he was feeling... his reply -- "I quit going to the doctor and now I feel purtty good."

Guess I should have said what I'm doing this weekend... Nothing.

It was 8 degrees when we got up and the high is 26 or so... not even getting out of my jammies... there's snow on the ground and the shop is probably about 8 degrees too. We were supposed to go over the mountain to my son's this weekend to celebrate the daughter in law's 40th birthday... he's on top of a mountain with about a 25-30% grade up to his house... he can't get out and I'm not going to try to get in.

Back when I was 18, I worked with an older gent and he told me the older you get, the faster time goes, wow was he correct:( yesterday was Monday wasn't it???

Me I plan on shop time in between domestic chores, I am starting a bathroom rebuild with the first piece being a new medicine cabinet:)

Most of my time is spent with my CNC project one way or another. I ordered a few items this morning to have on hand to assemble the power supplies and electronics into a box of some sort to keep them organized and a bit cleaner. I received the motor I needed this morning. Thank you to the benefactor!

Another task I got myself into is making a couple of pens for a friend. After seeing what little work I've done on pens, she asked if I could make her a pen from an ebony key from an old piano. So, now I have to decide how to carefully drill out a key that measures 3/8" by 1/2". They are plenty long to make a pen; a Slimline is about 3/8" in diameter when finished, so maybe I can do it!

Sunday is the Daytona 500. Need I say anything further???

-19° this morning. Up to +12° now. Supposed to get up over freezing one day next week! 'twill be only the third time over 32° THIS YEAR!

Anyway...just got back from the Hartville Hardware semi-annual open house & tool sale. Bought a couple Milwaukee 18v tools (mechanics stuff, not woodworking); wife bought a Dyson canister vac; and go 105 bd ft of 8/4 hard maple for $2.50 per foot. Kinda glad they only do this twice a year - I couldn't afford it more often.

Well, we have a heat wave going on right now, 12 above with a -5 windchill. Going to run out of firewood by Sunday if I don't do something. So dug the 22' flatbed gooseneck trailer out and am going for some slab wood tomorrow am. Be cutting some Saturday and Sunday.

Two weekends in a row and we are traveling. Actually we are only away for a day and a night. We came down to the U-District of Seattle (where the University of Washington is located) for the Lie Nielsen Tool Event which is being held at the campus. We are staying at the Watertown Hotel, which is a nice hotel we generally stay at if we are in this part of Seattle. What makes it really great is that it is located right next to my favorite hardware store, Hardwicks. I have posted about this store many times and even the Ambassador himself has stopped by. But then where has he not been?
IMG_0602.jpg
Also it is next to one my favorite breakfast places down in Seattle, the Portage Bay Cafe. Their motto is "Eat like you give a damn". Easy to do with their food.
IMG_0600.jpg
Anyway, went to the event and saw Dave Jeske of Blue Spruce Toolworks again. I first met Dave when I was on the Tour DeWood - Pacific Coast (still the best!). He even remembers me. Of course it is not everyday someone drives up to your home in a giant RV motorhome with 2 guys from Michigan, 1 from Bellingham and some foreigner from Spain. Since then I seem to see him at least once a year at these events. He claims that he will be finally making his firmer chisels sometime later this year. I left space in my tool box long ago for these.

I also saw Gary Rogowski of Northwest Woodworking Studio. I took a dovetail class from Gary many moons ago now. He was up from Portland promoting his school. Gary use to be a major contributor of Fine Woodworking Magazine.

I met someone new, Anne Briggs. She is a young relatively new woodworker who apparently does not let that stop her. She is a blogger (Anne of All Trades) and Lie Nielsen invited her to participate. At first did not understand why LN would invite her with her obviously limited experience, but after meeting her, I think they knew what they were doing. She has the enthusiasm, energy and social skills to make a difference. In short she is a doer and I felt like an underachiever in comparison. I was actually introduced to her by Marilyn Guthrie of She Works Wood. Marilyn and I took the same class over at Port Townsend several years ago and we keep bumping into each other, mainly at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival and at these LN events.

I did not buy anything and the truth be told it really was not the reason I came. Mainly it was the chance to see people like Dave, Gary and Marilyn and just talk a little woodworking. I did see the prototype sharpening jig that LN will be coming out with. Very nice!!!
IMG_0615.jpgIMG_0614.jpgIMG_0613.jpg
After the event we walked around the campus, which is beautiful since it is located on Lake Washington.

Mostly watching the grandson this weekend, but trying to hone my sketchup skills some more for a couple of projects I have in the works. I'm going to try and finish up one of the two high chair tables, but have some work to do on the other as it's warped since last working on it.

Spent a couple of hours on Friday getting two vehicles registered in the state of NM and getting LOML her very first NM driver's license. It was a convoluted process, since it involved various addresses, married and maiden names on titles, establishing residency, and a host of other fun stuff. This was LOML's third trip in three days (my second in two days), but we finally got it all wrapped up. As a bonus, the lady that helped us was cheerful and actually helped. She stayed an hour overtime getting everything handled, and we were the last ones out of the office.

Saturday morning LOML and I are taking a 3-hour trip up to Angel Fire ski resort, where our band is playing from 3:00 to 6:00. We're just doing it as a day trip, so we'll be driving home after the gig. (The other guys in the band will be staying overnight so they can ski on Sunday, but I don't ski anymore and LOML never did.)

Sunday will be back to what I've been doing all week...moving and unpacking stuff at the new house. ;) Can't really get started setting up the shop until I get all the boxes of stuff, STUFF and MORE STUFF moved out of the garage and put away in the house.

I was getting ready to head to the shop and started snowing Jared said don't you drive my grand marquis to the shop it's no good in the snow so I'm just going to be another couch potato for another day. I think I've watched every TV program that's been put out in the last year getting very tired of this.

Just in from plowing the 5" of fresh snow, and now it's snowing again. Weatherguesser says maybe another inch or two. At least it's warmer - about 20°, the warmest it's been in a couple weeks.

Yup. Made do by smoking pork loin for Canadian bacon. Also threw in a dozen brats and a small brisket! We are set for a few days
when snow and cold are gone. Next spring? Actually not to bad 42 degrees. I agree with the Friday coming to quickly when you're retired. Sure
messes up weekends.
David

I retired a year ago, and every day seemed like a Saturday ... :D

Then my wife retired in December, and every day seems like a work day. I might as well go back to work and get paid for my labors!

Regarding blood pressure, I find mine is a lot lower if I do not watch the news, listen to less talk radio, and in general, spend more time in the shop turning expensive wood into sawdust. Ignorance is bliss!

Second wave of plowing completed. 2~3" more on top of this morning's. Supposed to quit about sunset - an hour from now. Hope so. With what I already had piled up, and what I've moved around today, I'm running out of places to put it. Could be worse, though...I could be in Boston.:D