belt question

Frank Fusco

When I refurbed (new wiring, switch, motor) an old table saw I bought about a year ago, I put on a new belt. When using it I usually had trouble getting through the piece being cut. The blade just slowed down and stopped. Of course, I was mightly unhappy with this. :pullhair: I had put on a 3 hp., 220v motor and figured that would cut OK. When I calmed down and checked things out I found the belt loose. Puzzlement:huh: , it was new from Orschielns. I adjusted the tension and resumed cutting. Same result. :bang: Finally concluded the belt was stretching, and stretching and stretching and......... It is now at the max adjustment. Just how much is a belt supposed to stretch? And what is a good belt? I need to replace this one.

I've never heard of them stretching that much. Regardless, I try to stick with Gates and Goodyear brand names on V belts but I'm wondering if this is where a Fenner link belt would work out?

Did someone suggest a link belt? ;) I'll be checking out prices. Thanks.

I have used the Harbor Freight retailed ACCU-Link version (5 feet for $25) along with and even intermixed with the Fenner Power-Twist belt product ($7 to $10 per foot) without issue. I was wooed into the Harbor Freight belt when it was on sale and Fenner prices had jumped. Turned out to be one of those diamonds in the rough for HF as far as my experience with them goes. YMMV.

I've also had good success with the link belts from Harbor Freight. :thumb: I use them on my jointer and drill press (and I think I have one on my bandsaw, but I don't remember for sure). My tablesaw takes a ribbed belt, so on that I use the belt it came with.

Make sure the belt is not bottoming in either pulley. At 3 HP the belt would not transfer the power. I too use the power twist on everything except cars. (Just never got around to it) (although i have taken them with me on many road trips) The hotter and nastier the environment the better. I use them on roof top HVAC, scrubbers, rectifiers, farm tractors, and any shop equipment for 15 years. Put them on just a little snug, then a day later tension like a regular belt. They last about 4 times longer in heavy industrial use.

One of the specs I read on link belts is that they are fractional hp, originally designed to allow repairmen to get AC systems and the like back in operation until the right belt could be obtained. I don't have experience with them, but a 3 hp motor might need a pair of belts, or special notched V-belts to do the proper transfer. (I have seven 5 hp motors in my shop, so am concerned about the power transfer).

I know V-belts are very popular for vibration reduction, but I don't know if that is true in high HP applications.

Frank,
If you know the size and even the brand name, I would give Sylvia a call at The Belt Store in Lafayette, LA.... I've always had good luck with them, prices and shipping are reasonable. I usually buy all my lathe belts for my lathes from them and can get 3 belts for what I would have to pay JET for one.

They have a web site www.beltsforanything.com but you can't buy off the web... phone (337)235 9736