ZCI Restore with Epoxy

glenn bradley

I imagine many of us have read or heard about doing this. I find when a member shares actually doing some of the things I've read about, it really brings it home so, here's my contribution.

I was epoxying something the other day and so prepared one of my ZCI's by applying packing tape along the wear-worn slot on the top surface toward the front. Once I was done with my project I drizzled the leftover epoxy into the slot from the underside.

ZCI repair (1).jpg

Once it is set up, you make a new "original" cut just like the first time you used it.

ZCI repair (2).jpg . ZCI repair (3).jpg

The picture isn't great but, I think you can see where the epoxy fills in the widened slot.

ZCI repair (4).jpg

This sort of wear happens as the material is pulled through the slot during a cut. The phenolic lasts longer than my BB ply ones but, the result is eventually the same. Next time your epoxying something, prepare an old ZCI ahead of time and try it out.

Last edited:
Glenn, I have neither read nor heard of this tip (must lead a sheltered wood life). It is a great one. I have some pretty beat up ZCI's which will now get a second chance in the old saw. I may even have to upgrade to phenolic as mine are simply plywood. Finally, I never realized how that SawStop ZCI really locks in, way better than mine that just sits on the for support tabs. I will think about how to incorporate the 'lock it in' concept. Thanks for sharing.

Do you think this would work with Bondo?
Thanks
Dennis

I haven't used bondo in years so forgive me if I'm wrong but, I think that would work fine. As long as the filler has the grip to survive the impact and is not brittle it sold do well. I just use epoxy since I use it anyway and try to do the repair with leftovers.

This is one of those :thud: moments for me, as it seems so blindingly simple and brilliant once I see it.

:score: Great tip, Glenn! (quick, send that one to FineWW and maybe win some fun money!)