2 more bells

I like th ecurves and grain alignment on the one on the right best. It has a really nice natural curve around it that works well with me :thumb: If it had the nice bead right above the bell part from the one on the left it would be even better imho.

You're also just one small coping saw cut away from some pretty fantastic scoops there as well :D

Both these bells are one piece.

Ryan: Thank you for your comments, I will consider your suggestion for the bead the next time I do these. As far as scoops....that will come later when I have honed my skills more....and have tried other decorations as well.

Dave,
Good looking bells... I really like the grain pattern on the second one..... have you decided to put the clappers in them as well?

The one bell I did, I put a little ebony clapper in it... I had a small eye hook that I was able to screw up into the center of the bell with a couple of links of chain... definitely was a pain, but a pilot hole and a pair of long needle nose pliers made it possible...

Dave,
Good looking bells... I really like the grain pattern on the second one..... have you decided to put the clappers in them as well?

The one bell I did, I put a little ebony clapper in it... I had a small eye hook that I was able to screw up into the center of the bell with a couple of links of chain... definitely was a pain, but a pilot hole and a pair of long needle nose pliers made it possible...

Actually, I haven't decided whether to include clappers in any of the bells I will make....I am going to attempt this soon however...and I guess depending on how much "work" they involve will determine whether I put them in or not. I do plan on making a lot of bells hopefully to sell at winter time craft shows.......so i guess I will have to decide one way or the other. Any suggestions from other members will be appreciated....thanks!

Downright nice looking bells, Dave! The grain of the one on the right is adds more to that piece, but both are excellent. When you figure out the clapper part, be sure to post it. I have turned bells and other ornaments in the past, and the clapper did not fair too well. No, the clapper was junk. I certainly hope you do a lot better at it than I did.

Downright nice looking bells, Dave! The grain of the one on the right is adds more to that piece, but both are excellent. When you figure out the clapper part, be sure to post it. I have turned bells and other ornaments in the past, and the clapper did not fair too well. No, the clapper was junk. I certainly hope you do a lot better at it than I did.

Dave: Thank you for your comment. I will post pics of my attempts, should they prove successful....:)

Ted: Thank you for the link to the bell "clappers" . I shall certainly consider those when I attempt this. I was thinking of just making wood ones....but again, it will be dependant on the difficulty.

Dave. it's not that difficult to put the clappers in... a little tedious maybe, but not terribly difficult.... I turned my clappers from pen blank cut offs.. they only need to be about an inch or so long or less, depending on the size of your bell and I made the more or less tear drop shape rather then a ball.... flatten the small end a little and use a fine drill bit to do a starter hold, put in your eye bolt and attach the chain... a fine link chain will work best... you could epoxy a beaded chain in, but I think that would be harder to attach to the bell... although you could also epoxy one in as well.

In side the bell housing as centered as you can, I drilled another pilot hold with a fine drill bit... I have a dremel with a flexible cable that worked for me... an extension on a regular drill would work as well. measure your chain, attach to another eye bolt and you'll probably have to use a pair of long nose needle pliers to screw the bolt in. The first will probably be a pain in the pastudie... but the second and subsequent ones will go much better.

Last edited:
OK, Chuck. I have BIG hands so that may be a very interesting exercise. But, danged if I am not going to try it soon. I'm already getting ready to set stock aside for the Christmas fair I go to. And, some bells with actual clappers would be a nice addition. I will endeavor to do it.

OK, Chuck. I have BIG hands so that may be a very interesting exercise. But, danged if I am not going to try it soon. I'm already getting ready to set stock aside for the Christmas fair I go to. And, some bells with actual clappers would be a nice addition. I will endeavor to do it.

That's an idea... My summer market starts May 1 and runs through to Christmas... maybe I should make a few bells to offer to add to my inventory... might be a good seller, you never know.

How big are your bells? I didn't see sizes in your posts or else missed them... the look to be about 3" dia and 3-4 inches deep... that's why I was thinking you'll need the long nose pliers to get up into the bell bottom.

Last edited: