Allen's can of worms.

Chuck Ellis

Allen posted pictures of his shop in process of re-organizing and cleaning... thought I would post latest of mine..
This is more or less the most organized it's been in a while and not planning to do much more to it, other than when the weather gets nicer, may open the doors and take the shop vac and see if I can blow some of the dust out.... even with my DC and fans, sweeping, vacuuming and cleaning after every session, I still have a layer of dust on every thing in there.

I spent the last week that I could get out there cutting up some walnut that I got last summer. The wood has laid outside the shop and I started cutting the logs and splitting them, then piled in the shop to cut blanks.. still have about half the walnut, a whole hackberry tree and a pile of Royal Paulownia to get processed. I've had a habit of taking any wood someone offered me and stacking it behind the shop... I lost a couple of tons of wood that I couldn't get processed... wound up in the burn pile because of weather rot and neglect.

Anyway this is what the shop looks like today... this is one end where the lathe, table saw and wood storage is.
Shop Feb 2015_02.jpgShop Feb 2015_00.jpgShop Feb 2015_01.jpg

Bowl blanks ready to turn... blanks range from 5 to 10 inches dia...
Shop Feb 2015_05.jpgShop Feb 2015_03.jpgShop Feb 2015_04.jpg

Other end of the shop where the work bench, finish table, sharpening station etc... most of the stuff on the wall needs to be culled and tossed.. mostly pen stuff needing some re-work or such and I'll probably never do it.... the bench has 24 pepper mills in various states of being finished...
Shop Feb 2015_08.jpgShop Feb 2015_06.jpgShop Feb 2015_11.jpgShop Feb 2015_09.jpg

Organized Chaos.....

Last edited:
I always enjoy seeing how others organize their spaces. You're looks pretty in order and setup for purpose. I've got so many interests it seems like you can tell my last 4 or 5 "purposes" by looking at my work bench and the tools/hardware scattered upon it, I envy those that can keep organized. ;)

the one thing I always do is keep my floor area free of anything, I never lay a board or tool on the floor.
Id kill myself with all those logs piled up.
other than that, it looks pretty well organized, and like you mentioned, no matter how much cleaning and dust collection theres always dust all over everything.
My problem is that it is still my garage, and I have a lot of stuff I don't have any other place to put it, like oil cans,fluids for the car, things for the car,things for the house that need to be out of the elements, so I have to have it in there, my shed is packed................and why is my shed packed? because whenever I clean out one area in the garage I throw it in the shed for now.
I have a lot of for now drawers.
I have 2 milkcrates filled with xmas lights. I took them from my store. I haven't touched them since I sold my store, 4.5 years, they just sit on a shelf, along with dozens of other items Ill never touch or use, but no one else wants it, and I don't have the heart to throw the stuff into the trash.
Im figuring when Im dead, my wife could have a garage sale or, just toss it all and I wont know anyway.