Table saw

Dennis Gerard

Has anyone got a Table saw with Granite top? My saw is at the point where it needs new bearings and motor is starting to act up.. It's a 15 year old craftmen... Thinking of getting a new saw and seen they sell one with Granite tops now.

spin_prod_238527701.jpg

I guess I'm just wondering, other than being trendy (what with everyone remodeling their kitchens that way) and expensive, how would they be any better than the time proven cast iron ones. I'm not trying to stir anything up...I just wonder if it's just the next "gotta have" item. Wouldn't the money be better spent on something like a Sawstop table saw; something that could save your fingers instead of looking cool in the shop?
Also, you can't use magnet based jigs, and they can chip. I sometimes use my saw table as a bench top. I wouldn't want to hammer on a granite one. I guess I left little doubt on how I feel. Good luck in your decision.

Well I don't use any magnet type jigs, and never heard of them till now, and I don't hammer on and of my tools, so that's not a problem for me, being in Florida and Humid rust on surfaces is always a problem...
just checking talked to someone who has one and it's 5 years old and never chipped..

I'm with Tom on this one. I have a SawStop and absolutely love it. Besides being the safest saw on the market, it's also a fine piece of precision equipment. Best tablesaw I've ever used. I bought the contractor saw with cast iron wings and a table extension. I can't imagine working without it.

i know of a guy that had one and it wasnt true in the slots, and he now owns a saw stop.. i wouldnt do granite either.. look serious at saw stop if your going to get new saw..

I wouldn't even consider a granite top when I was looking at new table saws a couple of years ago. There's something to be said for the proven reliability of cast iron tops.

As to a particular brand, I looked at SawStop for all the reasons it's made. When I considered the overall cost, the expense and inconvenience of replacing the brake and a blade, and my threshold of financial pain, I opted out. I've been very pleased with my Grizzly G0690! Saved a ton of money, too!!!

From what I've read, most owners love the granite top if you don't use magnetic hold downs. The 22116 you linked to is made by Steel City/Orion and was pretty similar to their former 35930. It's the sequel to the very well regarded 22124, and shares pretty much the same innerds as the former R4511. It has cabinet mounted trunnions, a one piece arbor carriage, and a decent Biese clone fence. If the price is right, I'd consider it, but a regular retail of ~ $1000, I'd consider some of the options from Grizzly, Jet Proshop, or Steel City.

22116guts_zpsomntkjmq.jpg

Last edited: