Hammer Dulcimer Build (video added)

Well I have been work on the Hammer Dulcimers that I will bed building for the Branson market. This will be a 17/16 layout with 66 strings.

This is the frame with the pin blocks glued up and ready for the top. Its made of Hard Maple and 1/4" Baltic Birch bottom
100_2378.jpg

This is the bottom side of the Walnut top with the rabbets cut around the edges. The panel is 3/8" and the rabbet to be 1/4" around the edges
100_2379.jpg

This is the top side Notice the Design Enhancement (Yes I started the rabbet on the wrong side :huh::doh::pullhair::pullhair::bang::bang::bang: )
100_2381.jpg

This will be the fix for Stupid. Its some Sycamore I had laying around.
100_2382.jpg

Well back on my head :wave:

Last edited:
Great project, I look forward to see it growing! Did you get the plans from somewhere or you just made it up? and last but not least can you play it?

Great project, I look forward to see it growing! Did you get the plans from somewhere or you just made it up? and last but not least can you play it?

Yes I got several sets of plans. This one is mostly MusiicMakers plans. I will be using hitch pins instead of screw and angle all the hitch pins and tuning pegs instead of straight in. The next one I will make with an angled pin block to make it easier and I think a better looking Dulcimer.

And as usual in all the stuff I am building right now NO I can not play them :doh:

Here it is with the bracing installed ready to close up.:thumb:
100_2384.jpg

This is how the repair of the top turned out, It looks pretty good I think and the wife likes it will have to wait to see if it effects the sound any.:rolleyes:
100_2385.jpg

Next is to route a small grove for the brass rods where the strings go over near the tuning pegs wish me luck if it goes wrong the whole top is trash.:eek:

Jay you pick some interesting musical instruments to make.:thumb: That sure is a nice looking piece of wood for the top. I had never heard of this instrument until you posted and Dan showed that video.

This guy seems very talented and looks like you need to be planning on a stand from what i see Jay. Is this gonna have a frog on it? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDuholrvok

I'm not sure yet Rob but I am thinking about getting some sound hole covers lasered with the frog in them to install. Will just have to see as we go.

Yes the stands will be the next project

That is an AWESOME and very ancient instrument.

LOVE the sound

I had a Psaltry once but I seriously lack musical talent and ended up selling it.
Some of the old instruments are just so beautiful.

Gonna love this thread.

I got the drill jugs made ( twice :huh::doh:) I wanted these to be at an angle because I was not going to use cheesy screws like the drawing showed. I am using hitch pins instead

100_2388.jpg

Holes all drilled hope they are right as there is no turning back now.

100_2389.jpg

Here are the two bridges setting on top they are moveable

100_2390.jpg

A little more sanding and its off to finish more pic's after finish is on.