Hockey Tape for Clamp Handles

glenn bradley

I received some jan-u-wine imported hockey tape today from Rob Keeble. Maybe it is actually re-imported for all I know ;-) I wrap it like this.

I notice Rob Cosman and others use this method as well. I did all these and this is what is left from one roll.

Hockey Tape.jpg

Uhhh errr..wait up there doc....being a pretty nationalistic new Canadian, i would and could never indulge in the practice of re exporting a product. Lol
Not all hockey tape is created equal I discovered when my boys were playing hockey and i learnt to tape their sticks and given hockey is a mainstay national sport for us i would only ever send you "Made in Canada" tape. However, the shareholders of the Canadian company making it are certainly a USA institution lol.
Thats 3M tape Glenn the good stuff.

You sure dont let any flies settle on anything next we will have to call you speedy gonzales.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks again Rob and you make a good point about the product. Tapes come in many flavors and qualities. Taping up with something that is going to fail early and leave a gooey mess just doesn't make sense. This 3M stuff is top notch. I finished off every clamp I had that was't already dipped or otherwise "gripped". I'll do some for dad a little later on. :thumb:

"You sure dont let any flies settle on anything next we will have to call you speedy gonzales."

I have a no excuses policy in my shop. I was there, the clamps were there and the tape was there; why wait? ;-))

Last edited:
yup its good stuff. and i also had some delivered tomake up some more grippers for my clamp collection thanks rob:) and glenn it works great and hasnt come loose yet on any of the ones i had done.. and they are my go to clamps now..

I used to put rubber gloves on to get a good grip on the wooden handles of my jorgenson steel clamps.
I taped them up with hockey tape to make life easy.
then I made life real easy, I sold them all and purchased jet clamps.

a little old thread, but thought id add somethng to use hockey tape on-hammer handles. i did rough framing for 10 years and used wood handle hammers. in the summer sweat and winter wet,icy gloves would be a problem. wrapped the handle of my hammer with hockey tape and no more problems gripping the hammer.