Fluid ounces to metric

When I was a kid growing up in the 40's & 50's, in my part of the world, we most often preferred the R.C. (Royal Crown cola) because for the same price as a Coca Cola, you would get nearly twice as much..... you know the saying... "I'll have an RC and moon pie." (and yes I'm from the backwoods of Texas)

Plus, when I was a kid, we most often were not allowed to have coca cola as it was supposedly "too strong" ... some claimed a coke would "dissolve" a 10p nail.

Hey Chuck you not alone. I never knew where Royal Crown Cola came from but now i do. It was my preffered cola drink too i really miss it was way better than coke or pepsi and you right they gave us more.
In SA they closed down plant, i guess market was too small to compete with Pepsi and Coke.
Boy this post takes me back to some real good times.
We used to order RC with french fries and a vienna at local greesy spoon and eat it while hanging out around the cold drink cooler. One of those flat top sliding lid chest coolers coke and pepsi had. Was a great treat when we got our pocket money. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a set of melamine measuring spoons in metric. I convert to metric when mixing since it is so much easier to do ratios. I also only mix what I am going to use. I carefully document exactly how I mixed it and write it on a piece of tape stuck to the side of the container so I can mix up a bit more towards the end if required. Never been an issue.

I'm totally confused now that I read through this. Thanks, something to ponder all day,,,, over and over again..

And is it called, Coke, Pop, or Soda? When I was a kid any soft drink was pretty referred to a coke for some reason. Got older is was pop and years after my kids went away they started calling it soda... Where I'm from you said soda, you got looked at funny...

Now that I'm old, I say Cuddy Sark.... got to preserve the body.

Paul,
When I was young, we called them Soda Pop... more often pronounced as "Sodie Pops".... Texans are lazy with their words sometimes.

What a pity you don't drink real scotch! :p

I don't drink any scotch... to me it tastes like cough syrup, not much of a drinking man anyway, but I do like a good Canadian Whiskey now and then... it's taken me over a year to do a little over half a 750 ml bottle my son bought me for father's day last year or maybe the year before.

Last edited:
There is a piece of software that you can use to convert any measure into any other one called MasterConverter. It is free for use with a delay of a few seconds for unregistered versions, it is the best one I've used. Make a search on the web and you'll find several places to download it.

I find Google does a fine job for me. See the search below... and the "live" return (rather than a screen picture) allows you to change units, such as US Ounces to Imperial Ounces, etc.

GoogleConversion.JPG

I find Google does a fine job for me. See the search below... and the "live" return (rather than a screen picture) allows you to change units, such as US Ounces to Imperial Ounces, etc.

Google.ca also gives the answer for US fluid ounces, unless you specify Imperial. In Imperial 12 oz is 340.957 ml. Our 12 oz pop (soda, coke, whatever) cans give 355 ml as the equivalent. Even in Canada, eh?

Google.ca also gives the answer for US fluid ounces, unless you specify Imperial. In Imperial 12 oz is 340.957 ml. Our 12 oz pop (soda, coke, whatever) cans give 355 ml as the equivalent. Even in Canada, eh?

It probably knows that cars, soda pop, and a lot of other things seem to not realize there is a border between our countries. A couple cars ago, I discovered my "American" car was a North American car, not a US car, made in Canada. I bet a lot of your beverages come in the same 12 ounce cans traditional here.

I was raised in upstate New York (50 miles from Buffalo); my wife is from Minnesota. The fizzy drink was always pop. We both moved south at the same time, where we met - if you call Virginia South. There it was Soda Pop. Now that we live really South in Texas, it is always Soda, nobody but a Northern immigrant knows it as pop.

When I worked in Brazil, the brown fizzy drink in the red can was Coca, as in Coca Cola. If you asked for Coke, they assumed you wanted the white powder. My favorite soft drink there was Guarana soda (try pronouncing that) which suggests that the generic name in Brazil is soda. My Portuguese is so limited that I cannot confirm that.

This whole metric thing got even worse when I was still in the work force... I did international and domestic shipping ... internationally almost all rates were in metric... weight or measure... ocean liners used the long ton and cubic meter measures.... airlines rates were in cents per kilogram, weight or measure, again long ton and cubic meters.... all domestic air traffic was in cents per pound, again weight or measure... measure was calculated in cubic inches per lbs... truck rates were in cents per ton or hundredweight - short ton.... domestic ocean rates were in hundredweight or short ton, weight or measure. Measure is the volume of the freight vs the weight... we had certain factors to determine if the volume was greater than the weight... a 10 lb box of feathers weighs the same as a 10 lb box of iron ingots, but the sizes is much greater .

This whole metric thing got even worse when I was still in the work force... I did international and domestic shipping ... internationally almost all rates were in metric... weight or measure... ocean liners used the long ton and cubic meter measures.... airlines rates were in cents per kilogram, weight or measure, again long ton and cubic meters.... all domestic air traffic was in cents per pound, again weight or measure... measure was calculated in cubic inches per lbs... truck rates were in cents per ton or hundredweight - short ton.... domestic ocean rates were in hundredweight or short ton, weight or measure. Measure is the volume of the freight vs the weight... we had certain factors to determine if the volume was greater than the weight... a 10 lb box of feathers weighs the same as a 10 lb box of iron ingots, but the sizes is much greater .

"Long ton and cubic metre" is a bit of a head-scratcher. The long ton is 2240 pounds, used mainly in Britain and the colonies. The metric tonne is 1000 kg or 2203 lbs. Is that what you meant?

"Long ton and cubic metre" is a bit of a head-scratcher. The long ton is 2240 pounds, used mainly in Britain and the colonies. The metric tonne is 1000 kg or 2203 lbs. Is that what you meant?

More or less... rates are always quoted "weight or Measure"... Metric we use the 1000 kg(2240 lbs) / cubic meters to figure rate.
domestic, was usually quoted in hundredweight or cubic feet.... but the ton is only 2000 lbs.
we used a factor of 166 to convert volume to weight metric... or 194 to convert U.s. volumes to weight...
It's been a while since I worked, so some of this is getting fuzzy now... as the sayings, you don't use it, you lose it.