If this won't cut it...

Jim Burr

Grinder was on back order. Finally showed up yesterday. With a one month vacation starting, sorta, this needed to get done. Maybe a CBN someday...but not sure if my limited skills would know the difference :eek:;)

7e17167ac30adf0f6c3e89c5244b5fdf.jpg

That's a pretty nice looking set up, Jim. I had good luck with the white wheels before I got the CBN. Just keep 'em dressed/balanced and they should serve you well.:thumb:

Why a CBN wheel? I would have thought you would want the grinder for fast removal, then use the Tormek for the slower, finish sharpening. Is there some tool you think the CBN on the grinder would work better for?

Jim, you big scaredy cat! :rofl:

Randal, a CBN wheel performs much the same duties as a regular dry grinding wheel, but it's faster cutting, and MUCH better balanced, making it a lot smoother and easier to control the grind. Also, it remains a consistent diameter and doesn't get grooves in it. I've got a pair of fancy Oneway wheels and balancing kits on my dry grinder (also use a Tormek), but the CBN wheels I've used on other guys' grinders put my dry grinding setup to shame. I'll be getting a CBN wheel once I get my shop setback up. :thumb:

But wait, besides the CBN if we going to rattle the hornets nest what about a 1 inch wide belt sander. What Ed Thomas showed me he could do with that puts that Tormek to shame and at a percentage of the price. :) lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm in the 1" belt sander crowd. Multiple grits as needed and a leather belt for honing, all on one machine and by comparison, pennies on the dollar.

I have the 8" grinder like Jims now, but used to use the 1" belt sander... 120 grit belt most of the time and I could get the tools sharp enough that I cut the belts a few times... but periodically I had to take them to my friends house and re-shape the grind.

I would like the CBN, but budget probably won't allow that any time soon... would like one of the blue wheels though.. more in my budget.

Jim, you certainly won't NEED anything else to sharpen your tools for a while. But I do have a couple of questions for the belt sander crowd. Starting a new thread.

Sheesh you guys are horrible, and I thought I was a bad enabler could learn a bit from the matters here.

Nice looking setup Jim, it'll sure let you "get by" for a while :rofl:

Jim, you big scaredy cat! :rofl:

Randal, a CBN wheel performs much the same duties as a regular dry grinding wheel, but it's faster cutting, and MUCH better balanced, making it a lot smoother and easier to control the grind. Also, it remains a consistent diameter and doesn't get grooves in it. I've got a pair of fancy Oneway wheels and balancing kits on my dry grinder (also use a Tormek), but the CBN wheels I've used on other guys' grinders put my dry grinding setup to shame. I'll be getting a CBN wheel once I get my shop setback up. :thumb:

Thanks,

I thought a CBN wheel was a much finer grain, closer to (for example) the 4000 grit of the Tormeks Japanese style stone, verses the regular stone.
Maybe there are different grits and that is where I remember reading about that.

Edit, went off looking and the CBN do come in different grits. I had looked at them, LONG ago, and saw a Tradesman T8 grinder with them on it, that made the Tormek look absolutely cheap. Maybe when I get a slow speed grinder as my high speed one, is used more for vehicle/welding, metal work stuff.

Last edited: