Red Oak Candy/Nut Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I had some trouble with this piece, so admittedly it is not particularly my best. But I think it is OK. It measures 7 1/4" in diameter, is 3 1/4" high, and has a depth of 2". Should hold a lot of M&M's. Maybe even a few Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I sealed the wood with walnut oil and then finished it with a walnut oil/shellac mixture. I cut into the lip with a old modified 1/2" skew a ring and filled it with crushed turquoise powder and sealed it in. I also filled some cracks with the turquoise and the rest with natural dust and superglue. I shaped it similar to a pedestal bowl to get past a major crack. So this was not the original shape I was aiming for. It's just how it turned out.

I really like the top part, nice shape and the inlay works well with that wood.

I'd probably have taken the foot smaller, or maybe hollowed out the inside of it a bit more to lighten it up a little or possibly taken the curve in the other direction on the outside bit to make in an inside curve to mirror the bowl. Not sure, but it seems a bit bottom heavy to me.

That's a nice piece, Dave. I like the rim treatment. I do agree with Ryan that the foot/pedestal could be a bit more petite, but that's just a personal preference.

Thanks, guys. Probably right on the foot. I was having a bit of trouble here and there with this one. But, I guess it was worth it because it sold about 8 pm last night. Never know what it going to catch the eye of the public.

Color and shiny seems to attract the eye. It's certainly possible that the base being taller made it stand up and out better as well. Hard to say.

Congrats on the quick sale, do you usually get them out the door so fast?

Ted is right on the mark! And, Ryan. No. I have had them go fast and some never sell and I end up giving them away as presents or bonus gifts for regular customers. I think the fastest sale I remember was in about 45 minutes of putting it online. Just happened to put it on at the right time and the right person was looking at my stuff. Wish it happened all the time, but I would be lying if I said it did.