Black Cherry Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This one is black cherry, probably crotch wood. There's some beautiful flame and curl in the wood. It's about 5" x 5", and I wanted a weighted bottom, so the walls start at about 1/8" thick at the top, tapering to 1/2" or so at the bottom. The foot's about 3/4" thick. It has a comfortable heft to it...everybody who's held it seemed to like the balance. Finished with Formby's Tung Oil finish. The local hardware store was out of Antique Oil, so I tried the Formby's stuff. I really like it a lot. This piece was given two coats, then buffed and waxed. The next day, I saw a spot where I'd buffed through the finish, so I stripped the wax off with mineral spirits and added one more coat of finish. One more very light buffing with white diamond, then hand-rubbed with Renaissance Wax. The pics don't quite show how glass-like it looks in person. I need to make some diffuser boxes or something similar for my lights.

HF14 - 01 800CLR.jpg HF14 - 03 800CLR.jpg HF14 - 02 800CLR.jpg HF14 - 06 800CLR.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome. :wave:

5" x 5"...... :huh:

man, that is like as tall as a can of coke, right?

I think I've been trying too big a scale......

Sure looks nice, and with an upgrade to the photo tent, it will only look nicer!

Yep, I'd say you are getting a handle on these! :clap:

Absolutely beautiful, Vaughn. A visitor to our shop last week brought me a huge chunk of black cherry (about 24" in diameter) - I'm anxious to turn it now that I've seen how beautiful the wood is. I think I have enough length to get at least 4 good sized turnings.

Yours are really stupendous.

Thanks for all the nice comments, folks. I've got the HF disease real bad...I find myself turning when I should be doing other productive stuff. :type: I'm not sure if LOML remembers what I look like. :D