Cam software

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using the free version of Cambam since I've not done any real serious work on the cnc until lately. I found the free version was missing a few features, like holding tabs, so I'm looking at paying the price to upgrade. Before I take that $149 leap, I was also looking at the Vcarve Pro Desktop version. Can anyone tell me if the VCarve pro will do things like holding tabs and if the current version of it will open sketchup files directly?

Yes, and yes. Absolutely.

PLUS it will do some 3D CAM as well. Along with a HOST of other things. It's easily the most value package.

I'm not 100% sure what's different between Desktop and Pro - I have Pro and absolutely love it. The latest version basically combined Cut3D's abilities as well (which resulted in my having an extra license of, if anyone's interested in cut3D alone).

Before my CNC, i never paid for software. After using the trial versions a few times, I was hooked. It is WELL WORTH every penny. The only other CAM that's comparable is ArtCAM Express and it's various versions. Leo did a deep review of their stuff for me before I bought. I chose Vectric for the better tutorials/support and upgrade path at the time. I don't regret giving them a dime - Vectric makes incredible software.

Can ya tell I'm a fan? :p

I have a version of Artcam, express I think, and I really do like it, but I have also heard about Vcarve Pro, really I think you cannot go wrong with either.

Cheers!

I started using Vectric products in 2007 and have had full versions of almost all of the offerings.

Desktop is a scaled down version of pro. There are comparisons on the Vectric web site

The latest version of V-Carve pro has added a huge bang for the buck.
As well as Tiling, nesting, and all the other stuff - pro also has 3D clipart import whereas you can import several Vectorart Clipart files and do some limited modifications on the 3D stuff.
It really is quite powerful

Yes you have tabs - and yes you can read Sketchup.

What you will NOT have is a $149 price tag. V-Carve Pro is $699
ArtCam Express is $149

You cannot compare V-Carve Pro to ArtCam Express - that is like apples and "T"-bone steak - just NOT the same.

ArtCam has a entry level express that has a limited but nice package that will also allow some limited 3D clipart importing.
I am not sure how much can actually be done in ArtCam Express but I am sure it can do some really cool stuff.
You will soon be wanting upgrades though.

Artcam is upgradable by purchasing modules. In the end - to get ArtCam to the level of V-Carve Pro or Aspire it will cost more money.

Vectric support is FAR FAR superior to Artcam and the user forum for help and ideas is light years away from ArtCam. In my opinion, Vectric is more user friently.

Still ArtCam is a nice entry level package.

Either way - ArtCam or Vectric - you will be getting great programming software.

I can tell you - if you have a desire to sell some of your work - you will make the money back - easily. I paid for Aspire in a couple of jobs.

Thanks fellas! :thumb: Sounds like I'd be better off putting the $149+ towards the Vcarve software. I'm still thinking I'll go with the desktop version, but looks like it's only the cost difference between the two to upgrade later if I find I need the pro version.

When I am looking at the differences in Desktop vs Pro

http://www.vectric.com/products/compare.html

Then comparing the difference between $349 and $699

And also knowing that Vectric is always fully user friendly upgrades

Knowing that when you use one Vectric product even upgrades all work the same way and have same screens

It's a good deal.

The biggest drawback to desktop from people that have it - is the 24 x 24 limitation on machine size.
If you are under that size you are golden.

Even so - Tiling will allow you to make things larger than 24x24 - it's just done in sections.

Vectric has a GREAT range of very clear and concise tutorials that teach really well how to do stuff.

The user forum of which I am a very active member is second to none.

For $349 - that is a LOT of CAM.

I guarantee - there will be a learning curve, but the user forum is a GREAT source of help.
There are some very talented and experienced people in there, hobby and pro alike.

You should download the free trial of ArtCam and Also Vectric Desktop or pro.

One other thing.

Vectric allows you to load onto several computers - no hardware lock -- VERY convenient.

ArtCam allows you to load on several computers - but you get only ONE hardware lock - that was a big show stopper for me as I use several computers

Yeah, I'll be downloading the vcarve before hand to mess around with it more. While my table can do about 30" on the X axis, I'd be able to get by with the desktop version for most stuff I think. The $350 is a bit steep even for the desktop version for me, but sounds it can take out a whole lot of frustration that I deal with trying to make things work the way I do now.

You could sell 3 nice plaques for $125 each and pay for it in three days.

Selling the plaques for $125 is a real bargain basement price.

Get in another 3 days and you pay for pro, or have 300 + in profit.

It is REALLY REALLY easy to sell this stuff. I NEVER claim it is hand carved.

If you remember the "family" acrostic plaque I made - that sold for $100 and the customer was really happy about it.

I put up a sign on a local business for $2000 last year.

I have sold many plaques for $300 - $500

This stuff is WAY easier and far more profitable than making a cabinet for somebody.

All in all - $350 is downright cheap.

YES - I do KNOW - getting that money is NOT easy, but, neither is the money for a table saw or a nice set of hand planes from Lie Neilson.

We just don't see "software" as having that kind of value.

I paid $900 for Cut3D, PhotoVcarve, and V-Carve Pro. Then I paid another $1500 to upgrade to Aspire.
If I wanted to push just a little bit - I could easily turn what I have into a $5000 - $10,000 per year part time business.
Most it what I have invested is paid for by customer orders already - and I don't even try to push it.

Desktop can do a 30" long item - just not in one piece. You would use tiling to do it. You could do a 96" long plaque, in 24" sections. There is a pretty neat process to it. All well described in the tutorials.

If you want to banter back and forth with the V-Carve tutorial - I would be GLAD to go through it step by step. Even though I am using Aspire - the commands are all the same. I also have the trial on my computer just so I can walk people through directly in V-Carve.

After 7-8 years, I am starting to get pretty good at it.

Very interesting, Leo. Maybe I have just found a way to pay for the house. I get to build a bigger one that makes more fiscal sense, but of course, costs more. Where should I start reading and doing research to find and serve a market for these plaques and signs?

Thanks Leo, What you're saying does make sense. I've got some product ideas to get started with to pay costs, and I have considered the sign biz as there isn't one local to me.

Very interesting, Leo. Maybe I have just found a way to pay for the house. I get to build a bigger one that makes more fiscal sense, but of course, costs more. Where should I start reading and doing research to find and serve a market for these plaques and signs?

This is a question I have myself. I spend a lot of time on the internet searching for sign related topics. One thing about signs is that a sign is an advertisement - so start advertising.

I have attended sign workshop in Indiana and got to meet several people. Some are doing the same as me - just trying to make a couple of bucks on the side and some are full time sign businesses. Dan Sawatsky is a world renown global award winner. His work is unbelievable. Sandy Baird, Melissa Jones, Roger Mann - just to mention a few are wonderful people to know.

HOW - to break in? Great question.

Dan says - make your house and shop look like it means business. If zoning laws restrict you ability to advertise - then decorate.

Tell everyone you know - show people your stuff.

Make small things and give it away - do craft fairs.

Most of my sales have been to people that know me. Word does get around.

I have not promoted my work here because it violates the CoC. Otherwise I would do a little discrete promoting from time to time.

Diane and I were walking around Wickford Rhode Island. That is a small waterfront community with a bunch of tourist attracting small shops and store fronts. It's a colorful little community. The houses there date back into the 1600's and 1700's It is a pricy area to live and a GREAT place to visit in the summer. It's a relatively young tourist trap community, and in a growth period. The store fronts don't yet have a lot of nice dimensional signs - YET. Dimensional signs sell between $125 to $250 per sq-ft. You do the math. I told Diane - we should take a picture of every store front and go back home and spend the remainder of the year designing signs. Corel, Adobe, Aspire - and so on. Next year - go back to the store with a design portfolio and ask for the store owner. Show the design and talk about how a decent sign can improve business.

I don't really have any book recommendations - but I meet people, and join forums. I try as much as possible to surround myself with creativity. Take a look at what Dan's house and shop looks like.
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com/
Look at his Journal - and look at his House Project - I have all the confidence to say you have never seen a house like that.

Dan uses Enroute software and he has a Enroute blog
http://www.enrouteadventures.blogspot.com/

Dan is kind enough to detail everything he does - GREAT place to learn.

I have setup an account with a sign supply warehouse and I buy stuff and try it.

I participate a LOT on Vectric user forum - 3D sign forum - and every place I can find.

I have met Jamie and Jody Oxenham - they are movie set designers for the hollywood sort of movie sets.

I get inspiration from them and I try stuff.

Since I have been active here I have not been so active on the CNC or shop area, because I am still remodeling.

Trust me - I have been 7 - 8 years trying to understand this stuff and I DIG DEEP.

It does NOT come natural.

One sign person told be after I asked where they get their ideas from - they said - take pictures of every sign you see and save them - and look at them from time to time.

Also - keep a journal of your ideas. Draw a picture - save it in a folder - you never know when you will want it.

I have a LIFETIME of pictures, drawings, ideas all tucked away - NOT - just in my mind - cause I will forget when I want to recall it. It is all in a IDEAS folder - on computer - and in a 3 ring binder.

I used to - but have gotten away from FREE FONTS. I have paid as much as $100 for fonts - professional sign fonts. I also modify fonts to make then unique. V-Carve has that ability.

One Sign Maker in New Hampshire that I know says he is in about $150,000 income bracket. Dan Sawatsky is at least $350,000. NOW - those guys are well established and genuine sign artists.

So - I am saying a hobby level business at $5,000 a year is NOT a far stretch.

There is a TON to learn - CNC is a small part, but an important part, and not necessarily a mandatory part. You do NOT need CNC to do this.

Oh I could go on and on and on - but most people do not read that much.

I do have a lot of youtube videos posted

Youtube screwed me up with changing user names a year or so ago, so I ended up with two channels.

I do wish to have a business channel and a personal channel at some point.

On a personal channel I can be goofy - but a business channel should be something serious. I want to create a business card with a logo and a brand. I have played with a few busines names and registered Misha Custom Signs and Crafts - But I don't really like it.

I thought about something very New Englandy - New England Custom

I think I am just gonna go with Leo's Workshop.

Anyway - here are the videos I have posted on the two channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ2xhuPz1Yokq5n6HOh9PNg/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/arcticfox46/videos

I will post more as time goes on - but the house remodel is the primary focus for at least another year.

Yer in good hands here, Darren.

Leo got me going. He's got tons of energy and experience and a VAST wealth of knowledge he's all-too-glad to share. Absorb away :)

I've done enough sales to pay for all my software AND my machine's build so far. And I've put very little energy into it. I don't market - guys come up to me and say "Can you cut this?" and i say "Yep - can you draw it or do you wanna pay me to do so?" -- the biggest part of a sale is usually in modelling it. VCarve makes that SUPER easy for 2D stuff - and even better now with the support for direct 3D toolpathing - it's awesome. :)

What a great thread, thank you Leo for all the information!

I've been using ArtCam Express, it came with my iCarver, and recently I've been asked to do a job for a customer redesigning some AC vents, I want to make this sort of a parabolic cone....

parabolic cone.jpg
To do such a thing in ArtCam I need to buy the $2500 Inspire software, that is not going to happen, but what about the other software you mention, could it be done on that?

Cheers!

What a great thread, thank you Leo for all the information!

I've been using ArtCam Express, it came with my iCarver, and recently I've been asked to do a job for a customer redesigning some AC vents, I want to make this sort of a parabolic cone....

View attachment 90047
To do such a thing in ArtCam I need to buy the $2500 Inspire software, that is not going to happen, but what about the other software you mention, could it be done on that?

Cheers!

Stu,

Aspire can do it - but your still looking at $2500

I "think you can import an STL into ArtCam Express

If you send me some dimensions I can maybe create a model for you.

If need be I can create the code for you too.

No cost - that is just a fun thing for me to play with.

Just get me the numbers - inch or metric, I can convert to inch for my needs.

Stu,

Aspire can do it - but your still looking at $2500

I "think you can import an STL into ArtCam Express

If you send me some dimensions I can maybe create a model for you.

If need be I can create the code for you too.

No cost - that is just a fun thing for me to play with.

Just get me the numbers - inch or metric, I can convert to inch for my needs.

Yeah I was afraid that this would be difficult to make.

The diamiter of the circle base is 45cm the height of the tip of the cone could be as little as 5cm or up to about 10cm.

I'll be gluing up 18mm thick pieced of MDF to make this, if possible.

I really appreciate it Leo.

Cheers!