over ambitious

Roger Pozzi

I had a thought about making a different lid for a keepsake box I'm working on. It looked good in my head, looked good on paper, it even looks good after making the tedious cuts necessary and, after figuring out the compound angle cuts needed. But, I never thought about the glue up!
Here is what I have.20150407_140846.jpg20150407_143308.jpg The first is the profile I made, and the second is how they should glue up.
Now, without spending a week or so making a gluing jig, I can't figure a way to glue these together.
I've heard Scott Phillips talk about a "rub joint" and that he uses it often. But I think that would only work on long grain and this is definitely end grain.
I've thought about CA but, I've never tried that on anything.
Do any of the box builders on here have some thoughts on this? It is cherry if that makes a difference.

One thought is to use Titebond II and a few sets of band clamps. One set would go around the bottom side/widest part of the box as you have shown it on your second picture to secure the perimiter of the frame. Then I would wrap a set perpendicular to that totally around each of the two sides, like a Christmas present, to pull the bottom of the funnel together and secure the top piece in the groove. I might shoot a couple of pins in the joints to keep them from slipping, if I could figure out how to do it without making a dent.

Maybe put a couple of finish nails on the inside of one side and clip the heads so there's just a short spike sticking up to catch the other piece so it doesn't slide while clamping?

I think I would want some kind of spline or biscuit (maybe a FF size) in there, I worry about just glue on end grain.

Agree with Fred. I use an older Ryobi mini-biscuit joiner for assemblies like this. if you can't use biscuits, consider using a spline across the joint. Whatever you use, some hot-glued clamping blocks will make it easier, or you could build a jig to hole the parts in place until the glue dries.

Consider only gluing one corner at a time - Make two 'sets' of 90° glue-ups, then glue those together to make the frame/lid. Easier to manage than doing all four corners at once.

Consider only gluing one corner at a time - Make two 'sets' of 90° glue-ups, then glue those together to make the frame/lid. Easier to manage than doing all four corners at once.
Thanks guys! This opened up some more brain cells.
I'm going to try 1 corner at a time with a rubbed joint using Titebond III. Since the thickest part of this joint is only 1/2", and so short, I'm afraid any type of fastener at the angle needed would be impossible.
Hopefully someday I'll be able to post the completed project for your approval, (or dis-approval).

Since you all got me thinking differently about this, I brought a couple of the mitered off-cuts in the house for a trial. (the house is where I keep my glue in cold weather)
I "sized" the ends with TiteBond III mixed 50-50 with water. Let that sit for 20 minutes then applied the glue straight, rubbed together, and let it sit in place for 24 hours. Amazing!!:eek: The joint cannot be broken, at least by me, and there is very little squeeze-out. I think it will work.
Now, when the wife's medical appointments slow down a bit, and Ohio weather quits demonstrating 20 plus degree changes daily, I might just get this accomplished.
I will be back with pics as soon as it happens. (Good thing this woodworking is a hobby!)

Depending on stress, a spline-like strengthener or not, your decision. As to clamping, block or shaped cauls

Shaped Caul.JPG

and one corner at a time.

Last edited:
I finally got the top together. 20150426_140335.jpg After some thought I decided that the accepted method of using tape to "clamp" mitered joints on a small box was really just a modified rub joint. (IMO)
So, I went ahead and assembled the top made up of cherry and a mappa burl laminate. I'm very pleased with the results and, I am unable to break any of the joints!
Now all that's left is to make the box itself to put it on. Oh yeah, and sand, sand, sand and finish.