DJI Phantom 3 new drone..

Rob Keeble

DJI have released a new version of their phantom drone its really becoming unreal what they managjng to package into one of these things for $1000.

Check this list of features out and the wedding video at the end.
http://gizmodo.com/dji-phantom-3-a-totally-loaded-video-drone-for-cheaper-1696474344

I have come to the conclusion i would like to rent one to try out to get the itch out my system then if after experiencing the tech, the bug bites i would buy.
Right now i feel it would only get flown now and then and get put on the shelf. :(

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I bet renting that model would be high, for the simple reason that I think that model wouldn't be one to buy. Rent it and see what happens if you lose power/signal, or someone/something, knocks it out of the air. When it crashes on that built in camera, it is going to be expensive.

A friend of mine is deep into the quadcopter photography thing, and sells his services for things like TV ads or real estate web sites. He's got a couple of complete systems that he has built himself from off-the-shelf parts. He got into the business last year, figuring he's only got a couple of years before there's either too much competition from others (due to low cost units like the DJI Phantom), or too many new laws or regulations preventing him from doing it.

I suspect he's right Vaughn, not long before the FAA gets their way, unfortunately it will be a select few, without common sense, that create the "need" for those regulations.

On the thought of other uses, I think Brent needs to get one going to take care of the task of actually having to crawl through his crawl space, just look at the health benefits. ;)

I'll split it with you Rob...when it's your turn, I'll fly it up there. Those things are seriously cool and where we live...no one would ever know!

I can imagine all the dust and spider webs that would get going in the crawlspace. Id be better off with a robot of some sort.

Well in my view where Brent lives there are far better things to film that a drone could do an amazing job of.
1) lets not forget he lives among wild horses. Imagine flying alongside and above a group running through the dessert or playing around as i am sure young colts would do in the dust. That would be to die for non intrusive video footage and the backdrops of the scenery he looks out on well say no more.
2) Deer. We all seen photos of the herds that Brent has posted in the past.

Then of course there are all the other critters out there on the rocks etc.

I can think of a load more things I would be filming in the dessert.
In a sub division its a very different thing. I aint interested in spying on a neighbor.

Doesn't have to be spying on a neighbor, Rob... ;)

http://youtu.be/c07zD38Hm3w

And seeing he shot that with a Phantom 1 quad, I stand corrected on my previous statement about him building his quads from scratch. I know he's done various mods to his, but didn't realize the basic platform was a commercially-available unit.

Just finished a State Pistol Match - 300 shooters. A guy had a quad drone and did video for the match. I was impressed how he could position it maybe 50 feet up at the entrance to the shooting bay and it would hold that position like it was on a tripod. Even in breezy conditions!

Amazing machine which I thought would be $10,000 or so. Turns out it was ~$1,100 plus a very nice video system.

Here is a sample. You can see the shadow of the drone in part of it. Note the very stable platform.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dksdl2s48lg9dph/AAAvmMG7bSnMzGbYaYt97OD0a/Aerial%20Photos%20%26%20Videos?dl=0#lh:null-IDPA%20March%202015%20014.MP4

Last edited:
Just checked pricing and wow for the money which now includes the director app this is an amazing deal.
At this price therr is no reason the army dont equip any squad going out on patrol with a drone.
Even with only 23 min of flying time per battery.
Just think what it would do to help flush out an ambush ahead.
Even if enemy tries to shoot it down, one at least gets an idea of where the hold up. And with gps co ordinates being lived streamed, heck feed that info to a capable mortar crew and bye bye enemy.
What a great forward OP something like this would make. Take lights off fit night vision camera and skies the limit.