Need to make a walking stick any inputs welcome

Rob Keeble

Well i am about to transition from a walker to a walking stick. Tried to walk without one yesterday and while i managed i paid for my sins last night in bed with my back telling me i was not doing the correct thing. I knew before i tried but donkeys learn the hard way.:eek:

So given i am managing to cope without the pain meds for extended periods now, i am prepared to have a go at some woodworking for as long as i can muster the energy.

I am looking at making my own walking stick not to save a $ but really just for something to do to take my mind of this whole knee thingy, its really getting stale at this point. Come to realize managing ones mental health with something like this op is more important than the op itself .

So i am looking to anyone that has any experience at using a walking cane especially those that have reached age where they find it neccessary on a daily basis.

Whats the best handle shape in your opinion. I know this is kind of like how long is a piece of string but i have no experience to lean on. Found a bunch of ideas and images on google and like this idea

80411-sm.gif

I can see a tenon at the top of the cane part, then trace the drawing lay it out on some cherry i have. Drill tenon hole first the handle, then cut out on bandsaw and route the edges with a round over bit.

Just wondering about the need for the protrusion, i figure that is to go between thumb and forefinger when gripping the handle.

Going to use an ordinary big white rubber stopper on the end of the cane. Dont need it to be fancy at this stage.

Any alternative suggestions? My concern is for the strength of that tenon joint versus weight being placed on the handle.

Thanks for any and all inputs comments, ideas etc.

I want to keep it simple so it gets done pronto.

My walking stick has a traditional curved head, bent from the shaft. It was made by a local handiman. I saw a "How It's Made" a week or two ago which showed these being bent around a form after considerable steaming. The advantage of that crook style handle is that there is always somewhere along that curve that is comfortable to grasp.

Whatever you do, You should make sure that it has a sword in it, and a tiny little flask. All the cool gentlemen have multi purpose walking sticks.

I'm going to admonish you the same way I admonish all rookies...There Is No Best!!!!
What works you you, fits securely in you hand, what grip allows you to position the cane in a stable position, material, finish all make up what's Best For You!!! If you have any high end antique stores in your area...it's a great place to check out canes.
Brent is 100% on the money...I carry a gun so the flask gets my vote!

We have several canes available if needed, passed down through the family. My go to is just an old holly branch I cut years ago thinking it would make a good cane if I ever needed one. It's twisted and gnarly and has many a mile on it....just like me:)

What you are asking about is a cane. Walking sticks are longer. We need to be careful about these things. :rolleyes:
I don't need a cane yet but have made several for myself in preparation. The hand is a very adaptable thing. So, the handle can be of many shapes and still work fine for you. I suggest you just get creative and make the handle to suit you. I have made from brass horse hame, glass doorknob and strangely shaped scrap wood. As long as the shaft is strong you are limited only by your imagination. Hickory is an excellent cane wood. Strong and lightweight. Being from "up nawth" you might have acess to diamond willow. That can make a really interesting cane.

Rob,
Whatever handle style you choose, make sure it's comfortable and 'ergonomic' for you. If it cocks your arm and hand awkwardly, then it'll put unnecessary stress on your hand, wrist and shoulder, and you don't want that!.

For me, the 'saw handled' cane would have to be held 'backwards' to even approach comfort.

Sometimes simple is best, and a simple round knob (like a brass or glass doorknob) works well. Around here, we have a lot of Amish, and the brass hames they use on their horse harness makes a goo cane top.

Don't forget, you'll be bearing your weight on this, so it needs to be strong, and the handle attachment - whatever you use - needs to be strong and secure, too. On the bottom, drug stores (chemists") sell crutch and cane tips for very little money - maybe a couple bucks - and they're non-skid, making for a secure footing.

BTW, I've used a cane while recuperating from broken leg and ankle, so I do have some experience here.

001 (502x800).jpgRob here's a few ideas. The twisted one is a walking stick, about 6 1/2 ft long. Built that one about 35 years ago. It's still my go to, when just walking through the woods. The other two are antique ones. The JD one was my father in laws that he bought over 50 years ago. The ebony and gold one was my wife's great grandfathers. As you can see in the pic it was given to him in 1884. So like everyone else has said it just depends on what is best for you. Good luck with what ever you decide.:thumb:002 (600x800).jpg003 (671x800).jpg004 (602x800).jpg

Last edited:
One thing I would suggest you is to ask your therapist abouth which height should it have, anothe suggestion is make it as light as possible. Suggestion: why not use aluminium pipe and just make the handle?