Computers, OS, etc. for CNC

For Leo;

The CNC I am considering has a 'smoothing' board in the electronics to connect the machine to the computer. It was designed for that application to make use of newer computers. What I am looking at is the Pro version of the CNCRouterParts model with the Nema34 motors.

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/index.php for more details on the electronics package.

I am planning some relatively serious production of selected products for which I am first developing a marketing strategy. Simultaneously, I am also trying to learn what my learning curve will be. I know I could sub-contract out the CNC work, but I have been there and done that with very expensive results. I couldn't get done what I wanted done because the CNC company decided their way was 'better.' That drove me to buy the ShopBot and I learned I could have it my way at a price I could afford. Sub-contracting is not my vision for a side-line business.

With regard to the computer. I will need to purchase one. I have no old ones hanging around (except for my Acer notebook which I revived with a new battery and it is now dedicated to the Arduino projects). That screen is a bit tiny to do any design work! And it doesn't have enough computing power to run the CNC, given Jason's specs earlier in this thread.

So part of the business plan is to learn all I can about the machine and programming. I thank you all for your invaluable input.

CNC router parts is making some decent reputation for themselves.

I have looked at the kits and they look pretty good to me. I have not analyzed them to death but on the surface they look good. They will be part of my comparison when I do get my savings account up to where I am ready. With the work I am doing on my house and my available money it will be 2-3 years out. I like the idea of the NEMA34

I like the PRO version stuff at CNC Router parts - looks like my style of stuff. I would still consider the HiWin rains in liu of the round rails.

Call CNC router parts - I think his name is Scott. Talking to him should be a good excersize. These guys are small businesses - they are the Mom and Pops that we so desperately NEED in American Business - and they are here for us. I am sure they will work with you. They can also explain a lot about the products and how to work with it.

When I do my machine comparisons I will most definately be TALKING to the companies. HOW - they talk to me will help me decide what I will do.