new shop in the works

Had our first real fall storm come through with high winds and lots and lots of rain. Everything past this big test and nothing leaked. Crawl space is still bone dry. Spent the day in the shop painting all the materials for the stair hand rails. Hopefully the rain will let up tomorrow so I can get them all put together.

Passed final framing inspection now just to get the siding on and back fill done then that is it for these damn inspections. In the mean time I am painting the plywood floor a light gray and filling all the joints in the plywood. Quite the ordeal as I have to move everything from one side to the other as I go. If I had gotten this started a month earlier I wouldn't be having to work around all of this. I recycled all the balusters from a job I did for the school day care ( painted in friendly frog colour). I still have to build the ramp out back to move all the big tools into the shop. Of course an arctic front is just moving in now so I will have to heat the area to place the concrete. This part is a design as I go step as I had not planned on the front landing being so high. ( that is all because in the original plans I had a 2 ft lower crawl space under the shop for storage. The ramp was suppose to be out front) 11202110_10207196870112491_5844266943392568811_n.jpg12247125_10153058396301548_4586310941174946782_n.jpg12234974_10153052031556548_267572149544126262_n.jpg

Last edited:
Drew2.jpg Drew1.jpg Drew3.jpg

Finally have gotten around to digging the 24 inch deep trench to lay the electrical conduit underground to run wires from the shop to the house once the main power is changed over to the shop ( sorry for the pictures on their sides they were not that way when I loaded them. if some one from the admin can fix that it would be great thanks). Oh the ground water level is so high right now I have had to pump out the trench every few hrs as the water level is right below the surface due to all the rain we have been having. 2 ft top siol and 1-2 ft gravel and drain rock and then clay. The shop is on high ground and the perimeter drain is working over time keeping the water level out of the crawl space. I also picked up a 2 ft wide roll of basement blanket that will span the concrete inside the crawl space for an R12 of added insulation.

Also got the floor inside the shop painted using patio heaters and built the ramp on the back of the shop to get the big tool in. With the help of my neighbor and his son we were able to get the big tools all moved in and unwrapped from their plastic shrink wrap ( I had wrapped them to protect them from the damp air.) so now with the tools in and the floor painted I can proceed. But first I need to get all the cedar outside boards painted. So the shop is still a painting studio for the time being. The way things are going I might get this powered up and the siding on before next spring.

Attachments

• 20151124_175632.jpg
    20151124_175632.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20151216_083227.jpg
    20151216_083227.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 53
  • FB_IMG_1450556778508.jpg
    FB_IMG_1450556778508.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. I think I got your pics in the right order, let me know otherwise. For some reason I have a similar issue with pics from my phone when I take them in portrait mode, would like to resolve it some day. :wave:

Thanks Darren. Funny though I corrected the photos in PS so they should be right. Weird. Oh and no particular order as I have been taking them at random anyways as I dug the entire thing by hand and had to pump out the water constantly. These photos are for the inspector just in case he wants to see how deep I put the conduit in the ground. The other end of the conduit in the main house will end in a new mechanical room with the hot water tank ( currently under the house in a hole in the ground) and Deep freeze along with storage. I would like to flip the panel into the room but the location makes that difficult without running new wires and that is not in the books right now.

ATTACH=CONFIG]93975[/ATTACH]ATTACH=CONFIG]93974[/ATTACH]

Here is a photo of the trench full, that is the level of the surrounding ground water. The other photo is of the 16 ft 2x8 cedar that will be used on the gable ends as well as a band around the building at deck height. still have lots more to paint but I killed off 3 bottles of propane heating the shop during a cool snap. No idea how the second picture on its side got there or what I did to fix it and get it right way up. Please just disregard the copy.

Attachments

• 20151221_105304.jpg
    20151221_105304.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20151221_112634.jpg
    20151221_112634.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 50
  • untitled-3-19.jpg
    untitled-3-19.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I just added a plugin to auto orientate the images if your phone or camera stores the exif data on the image. Hopefully this will take care of the issue for any new images you upload. :wave:

Last edited:
1931381_10153130973426548_4478107568925823709_n.jpg1916995_10153130977041548_2040947234954883600_n.jpg had the electrician drop by today. He is happy with the trench and gave me some direction on what needs to be done. made me rethink some of the ideas I have had for the final result. Took these pictures for the inspector if he needs them. Electrical permit to do this job is around $600.00

10653422_10153137245831548_7103576951354157181_n.jpg Finally was able to get some of the trim up the other day in -2 weather. Paint finally dried and had to get this one corner ready to go to get the power mast in place. Picked up 80 ft of aluminum wire for the underground work today as well. Just looking forward to getting this part over with. The top of the gable will be cedar siding as well as below the bottom band board. in between galvanized corrugated metal siding. Looks like I will have to run a mast through the roof to get a good ground height. I want to put a carport on this side so by code the power lines cant run over a roof line here so I had to change some of my desires on what I wanted. Carport might just have to be set back in from the front of the building.

Last edited:
Hadn't checked into the thread for a while. Nice to see all the progress, Drew. Thanks for sharing the ride with us. :thumb:

View attachment 94027View attachment 94028 had the electrician drop by today. He is happy with the trench and gave me some direction on what needs to be done. made me rethink some of the ideas I have had for the final result. Took these pictures for the inspector if he needs them. Electrical permit to do this job is around $600.00

When i last did this in Ontario i was told i had to place a strip of yellow caution tape in the ground about a foot below the final surface level. This was supposedly so that if the next home owner started digging across the line they would get to the tape before the conduit. Was there any mention of that out your way?

View attachment 94097 Finally was able to get some of the trim up the other day in -2 weather. Paint finally dried and had to get this one corner ready to go to get the power mast in place. Picked up 80 ft of aluminum wire for the underground work today as well. Just looking forward to getting this part over with. The top of the gable will be cedar siding as well as below the bottom band board. in between galvanized corrugated metal siding. Looks like I will have to run a mast through the roof to get a good ground height. I want to put a carport on this side so by code the power lines cant run over a roof line here so I had to change some of my desires on what I wanted. Carport might just have to be set back in from the front of the building.

Drew are you only using the aluminum wire for the connection to the main panel? I presume you are aware of the need to use specific hardware with aluminum.
Shrewd move on your part given the cost of low gauge copper wire for same purpose, its just the termination that's important as you definitely don't want oxidizing joints on either end with the current you going to pull for your machines. I would not use it inside from panel to receptacles that can be a pain in the rear from what i am seeing happening in this home i have rented with a mix of conductor type.

What.....? You are not done yet?

What is this a government job :eek:

All kidding aside, you must be getting real anxious to get in there and start to really set up shop! :thumb: