Mortising machine

David Johnson

What is (or) the opinion on the Harbor Freight mortising machine? Can get one for $189 which I feel is a good price for
an entry level tool. Would not be used very hard as just getting started on this end of wood working. I know I'll have to get good bits,
what are recommendations in this area?
Thanks
David

When I was looking at mortisers I found that, like scrollsaws and jigsaws, until you reach a certain level they are more effort than benefit. In my quest I had ended up at the General benchtop but, veered off to the Mortise Pal at the last minute and have been very happy. Now that the Mortise Pal is no more I hope that some of the entry level machines get spruced up a little and provide a solution somewhere under the 'decent' $500 benchtop machine, a Festool Domino or a $1200 floor machine that most of us home shop guys can't really justify.

i started with the jet mortising machine, and then went with the grizzly mortising machine (g0645). at $265, just a bit more, but a good machine.

Hey Dan,

I have the jet and frankly haven't been extremely happy with its ability to make an accurate mortise (the hold downs are meh and the fence setup only marginally better - ignoring the state of the included chisels :D). Frankly it mostly collects a lot of dust since I can cut mortises faster and more accurately by hand at this point.

I was wondering what the grizzly did that was better?