Ok be honest

Lol Toni we had those too. For some unknown reason (i can speculate but dont know for sure) we called it a getone machine. Getone (not sure on the spelling) is Italian word for token.
In our neighborhood we used to have competions on those soccer machines.
In Canada as i understand it we call it Fooseball.
When we first arrived i purchased a small one for my boys to play in winter in the basement. But it was nowhere near the same given it was a Walmart table and there was no heft to it so half the effort put into moving the arms moved the entire table around. Lol.

Hey i actually feel sorry for you farm boys lol you lost out on Pinball. Thats got to be a story on its own. Whats the odds that so many of you that never experienced it all end up on the same forum many years later. Where are the city slickers.???lol
I never took to the video or arcade games. Just was not the same. Oh i have some interesting Pinball stories to share, not for public domain though.lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I don't understand the too poor for a nickle stuff. My dad never made 50 a week when I was a kid. However I mowed lawns for a buck or two, Bucked hay for 2 cents a bale and even younger carried the St Joe paper twice a day for 4-5 dollars a week. Never thought of us as poor just needed to work to play. Wasn't athletic so sports never interfered with making a dime... And then there was always the pop bottles when you really need a few penny's. We had 80 acres as well but it was 30 miles away so most work there was on Saturdays..

I remember a kid telling me his dad made 600 a month in about 63-64 and I thought he was lying to me as that kind of money wasn't something I could wrap my head around. That kid is now a Dr and I don't know how much he makes. The day I turned 15 I got my first real part time job for .70 an hour at the local dime store. Was never really out of a job from until I retired 6 years a go.. Maybe why I have no desire ti turn any of my hobbies into a job. Still spend my money on toys and gladly give my grand kids money for the games.. don't have a lot of money, don't need a lot of money and sure don't want to take a job from anyone who really needs it.

And I still try and tithe...

Hey Gary, what year did you get $0.02 per bale?

By '85/86 we were up to $0.23 up in B.C. (which I think was a bit higher price area and after the 70s inflation) which was good money if a bit intermittent. Me and a buddy made over $100 each after supper one day (that's hand loaded on the wagon, carried to the yard and stacked, just stacking would've been maybe half that or less).

Oh man. I put up hay just for the food. My friends mom used to fill a table with the most delicious edibles....well worth a day in the heat. Never even thought of getting paid. She had a saying I still remember. "One boy is a boy. Two boys is half a boy. Three boys is no boy at all":D It was pretty much true too.

I don't understand the too poor for a nickle stuff. My dad never made 50 a week when I was a kid. However I mowed lawns for a buck or two, Bucked hay for 2 cents a bale and even younger carried the St Joe paper twice a day for 4-5 dollars a week. Never thought of us as poor just needed to work to play. Wasn't athletic so sports never interfered with making a dime... And then there was always the pop bottles when you really need a few penny's. We had 80 acres as well but it was 30 miles away so most work there was on Saturdays..

I remember a kid telling me his dad made 600 a month in about 63-64 and I thought he was lying to me as that kind of money wasn't something I could wrap my head around. That kid is now a Dr and I don't know how much he makes. The day I turned 15 I got my first real part time job for .70 an hour at the local dime store. Was never really out of a job from until I retired 6 years a go.. Maybe why I have no desire ti turn any of my hobbies into a job. Still spend my money on toys and gladly give my grand kids money for the games.. don't have a lot of money, don't need a lot of money and sure don't want to take a job from anyone who really needs it.

And I still try and tithe...

As a share cropper kid, if I made any money, I didn't get to keep it. Mostly we were cotton farmers and pulled cotton by hand... I wasn't big enough to pull a six yard sack as my dad did... if we had stayed on the farm another year or two, I'm sure I would have been hooked to one. Mom said once that there was several years early on that if we cleared $2000 a year, it was a good year. By the time I was reaching my pre-teens we were doing better, but still not getting rich.

My folks separated in '54 when I was just 13... we moved into town and I really never went back to the farms, except for the summer before I went into the navy... My step dad took a job with a wheat farmer in northern Ok / so. Kansas, but broke his arm in an auto accident on the move out to the job... I visited for a month or so before leaving for the navy and volunteered to work in his place for that short time. After I got out of the navy, I looked for a sit down job and was a desk jockey until I retired. Even today with all the modern equipment, farmers work too hard for me to ever want to be one.

Ryan
The two cents was usually per person. If you had a crew and furnished a truck I think it ran 12 to 15 cent for the whole crew. The crew work I did was 65-67 and the boys where we worked direct for the farmers was in the early 60's..maybe even back to 59 I would have been 12 in 59..

One of the farmers we worked with had a couple of babies. A few years back one of the babies now a man and still farmer wrecked a tractor on the road and lost his life..

As a share cropper kid, if I made any money, I didn't get to keep it. Mostly we were cotton farmers and pulled cotton by hand... I wasn't big enough to pull a six yard sack as my dad did... if we had stayed on the farm another year or two, I'm sure I would have been hooked to one. Mom said once that there was several years early on that if we cleared $2000 a year, it was a good year. By the time I was reaching my pre-teens we were doing better, but still not getting rich.

My folks separated in '54 when I was just 13... we moved into town and I really never went back to the farms, except for the summer before I went into the navy... My step dad took a job with a wheat farmer in northern Ok / so. Kansas, but broke his arm in an auto accident on the move out to the job... I visited for a month or so before leaving for the navy and volunteered to work in his place for that short time. After I got out of the navy, I looked for a sit down job and was a desk jockey until I retired. Even today with all the modern equipment, farmers work too hard for me to ever want to be one.

Ok Chuck you have a few years on me I was 7 in 54. My parents had been share tenants in times before I was born. (My Youngest sister was 13 years older than me and she was 7 years younger than my brother). So I grew up with my nieces and nephews...

The truck wasn't ours - we were both somewhat under legal driving age at that point :D Sounds like it hadn't gone up quite as much as I'd originally thought, I never really felt underpaid doing that work though!!

Paul, there was a good reason I was doing the paid fields after dinner - there was plenty to do on our own part before hand :D

I've known a few fellows growing up who rolled a tractor and didn't make it out or lost a few parts (or worse) on the PTO. Folks who've never been in farm country don't seem to grok just how how dangerous they can be.

I keep thinking about getting another small place maybe 40-80 acres with maybe 20 arable and the rest in timber and space as a small hobby farm... I can't really decide if I'm just loosing it as a I get older or what! :rofl: I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you're going in with loosing money as the plan... :rolleyes:

Dabbled with pinball, but didn't really start sinking the quarters until the Defender video game showed up at the 7-11 a block from the house. Spent quite a few hours at that one.
Could play that one for quite sometime on just one quarter had a high score well over the million mark.:thumb::thumb:

my brother would play all the time but I never did. I learned early if I wasn't good at it I didn't waste money on it like the first time I played in a card game 15 spent my first paycheck working at McDonalds and that card game never played again.