Any Trap Shooters?

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Before yesterday, I hadn't shot trap in about a year, before that about 20 years. Met some folks from the office at the local range and shot up some clays. I hadn't shot at an actual range before, only in the back pasture with a manual thrower, really enjoyed it and plan to go again soon. I've only got a 12 gauge semi-auto, so added one of the shell catchers on it to keep from pinging the guy beside me, works great a long as you're only shooting singles, which we were.

I did get the old "souvenir" bruise on the arm where I didn't get the gun quite planted where it was supposed to go before firing on one late shot. ;)

Used to do a little hand thrown in the back gulley about 20 years ago but not much since except last year we had an off site to an actual multi station range (10 stations with two traps per station and 10 rounds each station). That was for sure a lot of fun, if there was one nearby I'd go again. I got (I think) 45?46?/100, but did a heck of a lot better at the last few stations than at the first few so it was coming back a smidge anyway and wasn't low score either do felt pretty good about it considering :D

Yeah, I only missed 1 of 25 for the practice round (5 shots per station), but went down hill after that, I think only 10/25 on the second, 15/25 on the third, and 17/25 on the last round. Towards the end of the last round I had a moment to switch to ear plugs, it helped, I think my muff were keeping me from getting down on the sights squarely.

Haven't done it for quite some time but I used to belong to a club in Millis, Mass.where we traveled and shot skeet and trap competitively.
Used to reload my own shells with a mini mec 600 (i think that was the model) I still have my shooting vest in the front closet already to go again.
Tons and tons of fun.

My muzzle loading club has an automatic trap machine. We have had a couple trap shoots and even allowed modern shotguns. :( But, I shot in the flint lock muzzle loaders category and took first. Might not have won first place if there had been any other flint lock smoothbore shooters, though. ;) I also shot modern. Now I understand why most trap shooters do their own reloading. Went through 50 rounds just warming up. $$$$ :eek:

We shot at Fort Order before it closed...4 rounds of 25. Used, and still do use an 870 with the plug pulled. Tons of fun...maybe someday we'll have time again.

Well i had a go at it before leaving SA when i had to get rid of the pump action shot gun i had purchased back in the day when we anticipated all out civil war.
We were on a farm and shot up 100 shells and clays. Have no idea of how good we were. Friend of mine and I.
Loads of fun. I dont think $55 is too bad for the fun you had. Heck go to a movie in our neck of the woods and unless u have no soda or popcorn you dont get way for too much less of course that would be for two though. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Years ago I was working a job in Gallup NM, and for a while two of my co-workers and I would go to the gravel excavation site after work and shoot clays until dark. Then we'd go back to the jobsite office a reload a few hundred rounds. (We'd set up reloading equipment on a bench my testing lab.) We had a mechanical thrower mounted on an old junk tire, so it was easy to transport and easy to reposition. I shot a few thousand rounds of 20 gauge on that job and got pretty good with my little Remington Model 1100. (Extra light "Special Field" version...sweet clay or dove gun.)

These days, one of my nephews has a large thrower that pretty much fills the bed of his full-size pickup truck. It has a seat for the operator and two independent throwing arms, each capable of throwing 4 clays at once. I've been out a couple of times with him and his brother, but wasn't shooting as good as I was "back in the day". My youngest nephew (the one who works in a gun shop) was shooting my 18 1/2" barrel Mossberg 12 gauge pump "home security" gun and outshooting me (using my Model 1100 "clay" gun). :rolleyes:

The city-owned gun range here has a pretty well-equipped trap and skeet area, but I've not shot there yet, largely due to the cost of ammo. I'd really like to try the sporting clays course, but that gets expensive pretty quickly.

I did many many years ago. It is great fun and very additive. Also can get expensive, like any enjoyable hobby. My Father in law belonged to a gun club that had traps. He had a nice trap gun and all the trimmings. He took me several times. I had a model 870 plain jane. After several trips, l lucked out and out shot him one time. That was the last time I was ever asked to go trap shooting with him. No fooling. He was a great guy........

Oh, I'll be going again, probably even join a league...really enjoyed it. There are a few ranges around that are a bit cheaper than that one, just have to drive a little further.