Not Turning

Dave Hoskins

This project is not turning, but as I am primarily a turner, I put it here. It's a simple display stand with the base made from simple stock wood from the local Lowe's. The wood was stained red oak. These thin cut bricks that came from my son's place of work are about 110 years old. His place of work had them for about 2 months before I bought some so the only provenance that could be established is the age and they came from some salvaged building in the Chicago area. I had to sand the bricks until the top was somewhat level. I was not concerned with them being perfectly level because that would get rid of some of the rustic appearance. One of the bricks still has the maker mark on it. The wood received two coats of shellac and the bricks 4 coats. That gave the top a nice smooth surface. Besides this project which sold in two days, I have been just turning stock bowls of one wood or the other and dodging thunderstorms. Hope you like it. Not the best photos in the world.

Thanks, guys! Sometimes you have to do something other than turning to keep the customers happy. Another popular item I do that is relatively easy to do is slab servers. Well, easy as long as the saw is good and sharp and you cut straight. Otherwise it is a pain in the butt to get leveled out.