buggy question

Frank Fusco

I bought a fresh cut (one day) hunk of Box Elder (apx. 4"X4"X4') yesterday for a project. Brought it home, sealed the ends and set in shop. Then I noticed, to my horror :eek:, it already had holes in it and buggies, wormies, were crawling in an out. I've experienced this with some other woods, persimmon seems one of the worst for attracting wormies and buggies. But, to be holey less than 24 hours after cutting and milling? This is dissapointing. I sprayed the hunk with some garden insecticide but wonder if there is a better way to stop this. Is there?

Although on some of the snooty forums no one thinks this works...but the USDA and Farm Advisor swear by it. Wrap in plastic wrap and toss it in the freezer. A week should do it. I've done it with great results.

I'd be tempted to put it in one of those big black colored contractor bags or drum liners, seal it up and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days in the hottest spot I could find. Prolly get up to 120-130 inside and may do those buggies in?

I've done similar to what Ted suggested, with a big dose of Raid sprayed in the bag to help the process along.

put it in a tent of plastic sheeting sealed in with a plastic tray of ammonia. leave it in there for a few days then mop it down with mineral spirits. should kill anything and everything while not leaving any residue behind like pesticides may do.
make sure the sheeting isnt touching it so that there is plenty of airflow around it. the ammonia will suffocate everything in the wood.