Wood Pendants

Those are quite nice. One question from one who has never done those before. What is the average diameter of something like that? I know they aren't big, but curious on that.

Ruth Niles sells the Joyner Off-Center Jig. It's very well made and easy to use. http://nilesbottlestoppers.com/Pendant-chucks.html

If you can remove the 60 degree cone point on your live center and have a cup center under it, there's a neat trick I learned to prevent poking holes in thin pendants with the tailstock. Get a golf ball and drill a hole in it the size of the threated portion of your live center. Screw it on the live center an it doesn't mar the surface of your pendant while you're rounding it and shaping it. When that's done, pull the tailstock back and finish the center. Great instructions from Vaughn.

Enjoy, Steve

I turned a 6 inch long piece of maple to about 1 1/2 inch diameter (need to be smaller than the pendants and used double stick carpet tape to attach the wood. I then put the tail-stock up against it with a small piece of sammy cloth, I then round it and cut the dome up to the tail-stock. then pull the tail-stock back and used 80 grit sandpaper to finish the dome, then finish sanded to 600 grit.

Several years ago Glenn and I went to Vaughn's to test drive a pendant turning device. That's when Vaughn found out what a lousy beginning turner I was. He had to get a fork lift pallet for me to stand on to use his lathe---Oh the insults I have to live with.

I could have gotten even with him by singing something but Glenn wouldn't let me; he said that was torture out of proportion to the pallet insult.

Jim your pendents look great.

Enjoy,
JimB