Bodark Burl Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I turned this today while having a break in the monsoon season we seem to be having here. The burl was dry so I had to go real slow with it. Actually wasn't sure if I was going to complete it or not as there was another rain front on the way. Luck was with me. It's 9 1/2" in diameter, 2 1/2" high, and 1 3/4" deep. I sealed the wood as I always do with walnut oil. I have started trying that stuff out called OB's Shine Juice the other day. I found it to work real well with this wood. I did not have good results on softer woods like cedar and cottonwood. I guess it is not heavy enough to soak in as well as build up a finish. Or, I just goofed up with it. It has just enough shine to me to be nice looking but not shining like a bauble or something that would attract a raccoon. I burned a line into the outside just under the lip. I left enough of the natural edge to attract my rustic fans out there. Hope you like it.

Thanks, guys! Frank, finishes are always a subject of debate that ends up being simply personal choice. The reason I do the walnut oil first is that it penetrates into the wood for better sealing and preservation. In my opinion. I generally turn and finish my bowls, chalices, etc., so they may be used. From trial and error I discovered not to use wax on chalices because the alcohol in wine and such dissolves the wax and you have a mad customer. It does not do that to walnut oil. Also, if someone puts steaming vegetables in a bowl finished with wax, the wax will most likely dissolve. Not good. Does not do that to walnut oil. If the bowl is a soft wood like cottonwood, I will seal it with walnut oil and then finish it with a 50/50 mixture of the walnut oil and shellac. It works well for all purposes. If it is a hard wood like bodark or pecan or mesquite, it gets sealed with the walnut oil and then finished with the OB's shine juice. The Shine Juice is just boiled linseed oil, shellac, and denatured alcohol in equal portions. The alcohol of course evaporates and helps with the even spreading of the other two. Seems to be worthwhile. Anyway, I have been using Mahoney's Walnut Finishing Oil for about 7 years I guess and love it. Good all round product.

Yep. I know of these names for it: Bois d Arc, Osage Orange, Horseapple, Hedgeapple, and I am sure there are others. On this side of the crick in Texas we call it bodark. Our shortened name for bois d arc. I honestly don't know if it is the hardest and most dense wood in the United States but if not, it has got to be a close second.