Need Computer Help

Paul Douglass

I have started experiencing connect problem with my computer. I have a wireless router, a dish to receive my internet service. This last week my connection keeps dropping. Like every few minutes. I see the bars on my tool bar indicating I have a connection, but the computer just goes like it was download a site and taking for ever. Than I get a little yellow triangle come up on the bars with an "!" in it. Wait about 30 seconds and that goes away and I'm good to go for a few more minutes.

Could it be my router is dying?

I have another router that was given me. I have the pass words for it, can I just unplug mine and plug this one into the system and sign on to it? Or do I have to go through a process of registering it with my system or something?

I'm a dummy...

Paul, I think you should be able to just plug in the new router and go. Some of the other networking-savvy guys around here should be able to confirm that.

Paul,
Are you in a position where you could hard wire into your router. My wife's computer was doing the same thing and driving us nuts. I hard wired it to the router and voila, problem solved. I suspect her wifi adapter went bad. Just a thought. Don't know squat about computers.

Check this thread out. Don was having some issues.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...l-you-IT-gurus-here-is-a-problem-for-ya-Fixed

He as able to fix it by changing the channel his wifi was using.

You might be able to just plug and play the other router, but there might be some setup you'd have to go through as well.

Would be worth a shot going hardwired into the current router to see if it might just be the wifi.

That sure sounds like it going bad, do as others suggest, if that doesn't work, try testing it connected directly to your dish by moving the cable that connects to the dish to the router to connect from the dish to your computer directly. Report back and we'll go from there. :wave: