This is an idea I stole from someone...

Chuck Ellis

I don't remember where I saw the idea, but it was really a great idea and keeps me from wasting the bottoms of the glasses I break just so I can fix them.... Someone posted a natural edged salt cellar with a glass lid... he had used the base of a wine glass... I've been throwing them away after I cut them off the glasses.... here is my version of the salt cellar with a glass lid...

Both of these are Cherry and finished in polyurethane.... each is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches diameter and about 2 inches high... with the lids, the overall height is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches.
25-2063_5.JPG25-2063_0.JPG25-2063_2.JPG
This one has a green glass lid from a set of glasses I had that had green stems and bases...

25-2065_4.JPG25-2065_0.JPG25-2065_2.JPG
This one just has a clear glass lid.

Bottoms Up

Well a couple inches anyway.

I can see it now---A bunch of drunk wood turners breaking wine glasses just to get the bottoms.

Sorry, I just get carried away. Having crud like this runs through my head is an all too common situation.

Chuck,
It is a really neat idea, score the stem, snap it off, use a torch to do something interesting at the break (or cover it with a wooden do-ha) and you are well on your way to a gift or sale.

Enjoy, I did.
JimB