Thucktheth! Of thortth! As Sylvester would say...

Roger Tulk

Here is my first bowl-type turning that didn't fall apart before I finished it. It is a goblet, suitable for a very small person or a very small celebration. It is made in spalted maple about 8cm (2½") high. The inside is a little rough, so I'll have to go over those instructions again.

DSCF6452.JPG DSCF6453.JPG

Good first run!

I think the instructions at this point are practice practice practice cause it looks like you certainly have the basics down! The insides of steep sided stuff like this are always a pain for me as well, takes a certain touch I guess..

That's a fine first bowl-type project, Roger. :thumb: I suspect it was done unknowingly, but you picked a difficult shape to try to cut out of spalted maple, especially for a first attempt. The smoothness of the surfaces will improve as you get more experience in sharpening and handling the tools.

Nicely done!

Roger,

Nicely done!

As others have said, the tight inside turn is tough. Often bowl turning tools simply can't make that tight of a turn so you are fighting the back of the bevel while trying to cut with the front. A relief grind taking away about half of the bevel can help as can using a tool designed to get in there like a scraper. I don't use one much anymore, got to make a few to suit me. However best I remember a homemade scraper came into play to finish that corner on my first bowl type turning that lived.

Some of the bowl gouges can make a pretty tight turn, depends on the grind. If you see bruising looking at that inside curve or corner with a strong light, looks like the area has been burnished, you were fighting the bevel. Best to just open up the curve some so the tools work better says the man whose first piece is almost perfectly square!(I have learned a little since then and a lot of what not to do)

Can't improve until we have something to improve from and that's a pretty good start!

Hu