Help I've slid in & don't want to get out

Welcome to the club! That slope can be pretty slippery...

DSCN0157.JPG

Bart, I can help. Just pack up all that junk oln your bench and ship it my way.

Jim, I hate that pic for two reasond: 1) so many nice tools that I still have yet to get and 2) they are organized way too nicely which makes me feel like a slob.

Now with a little more time on my hands here are a few better pictures.

I was able to pick up this nice #45 with a box of blades.
I had an old rusty 45 that was given to me & that is where the long bars came from.

The old transitional plane I plan to make a scrub plane out of.

The 2 skewed rabbet planes I hope to use for cleaning up tenons.

The Chisels will receive new handles & sharpening.

The marking gage is interesting @ $4 I couldn't past it up. It had a pin style marker at on time but now has a knife style cutter/marker on it. What I thought was interesting is the locking devise is a tapered dowel through the head. I plan to make a few of these & though it was a great pattern/user. I was pleased to find a nice try square as well as two spoke shaves.
I also got a nice Stanley screw driver as well as a #80 scraper & a Lufkin folding rule.

It seems to pay to save a few dollars over the year when you know your going to make an annual pilgrimage to somewhere you know there will be a few tools to purchase.

Attachments

• Old hand tools 005.jpg
    Old hand tools 005.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Old hand tools 006.jpg
    Old hand tools 006.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Old hand tools 007.jpg
    Old hand tools 007.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Old hand tools 008.jpg
    Old hand tools 008.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • Old hand tools 009.jpg
    Old hand tools 009.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Old hand tools 010.jpg
    Old hand tools 010.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Old hand tools 011.jpg
    Old hand tools 011.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Old hand tools 012.jpg
    Old hand tools 012.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
...The old transitional plane I plan to make a scrub plane out of...

Before you do that, try sharpening it up and using it as the smoother it was intended to be. You may find that you want to keep it as a smoother. A well tuned 'transitional' can be a joy to use. I've got a couple #35's that are high up on my list of favorites.

...Jim........... you don't live in earthquake country..... do you ...

Stu,
Not any more! When I did live in Southern California, all those planes were kept on low shelves, and stored horizontally, not near vertical as you see them now.

Fortunately, NE Ohio isn't prone to earthquakes.

oh oh.....................................

Bart's had it. Theres no bottom to the down hill slope :eek: :D

some folks oughtn't be let out when they have money in their pockets.

Ah, the sweet smell of electrolysis in the morning!

Must keep an eye on that saw or else i'll end up with a razor blade again.

You a user rather than a collector Bart?

Tom

Bart where are you huntin ????

wow you dun struck gold again,, and jim ,thats one dandy collection. i am just lookun now but mr C has got me lookun harder than i used to.. they are definalty contagous once you handle then and learn how to use them alittel.. still practicing steve when i get a few mins free.:thumb: :D

wow you dun struck gold again,, and jim ,thats one dandy collection. i am just lookun now but mr C has got me lookun harder than i used to.. they are definalty contagous once you handle then and learn how to use them alittel.. still practicing steve when i get a few mins free.:thumb: :D

oh oh :doh:

Bart's done gone down the tubes, er, slope.:eek:

Now Larry's peeking over the slope :eek: :rofl:

Practice practice Larry :thumb: :D

Well now looky here at what I see when I just come in from practicing with #3, #4, #5 & #6 on a piece of red oak. Been practicing on a piece of pine with my Transitional Jack plane & thought I'd try something harder. Been working on the budgets for the apartments for the next fiscal year sitting at my bench in the shop, every hour or so the LOML in the office up front would hear sssssssnick & came back to see what I was doing. I had a piece of pine clamped in the workmate & would go over & run a plane down the edge. I told her it was like the high fa-looting type company presidents with their office play toys to relieve stress.:D :thumb: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well now looky here at what I see when I just come in from practicing with #3, #4, #5 & #6 on a piece of red oak. Been practicing on a piece of pine with my Transitional Jack plane & thought I'd try something harder. Been working on the budgets for the apartments for the next fiscal year sitting at my bench in the shop, every hour or so the LOML in the office up front would hear sssssssnick & came back to see what I was doing. I had a piece of pine clamped in the workmate & would go over & run a plane down the edge. I told her it was like the high fa-looting type company presidents with their office play toys to relieve stress.:D :thumb: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sssssssnick :eek: :eek: :eek:

No golf clubs in the office Bart? :huh: :rofl:

some folks oughtn't be let out when they have money in their pockets.

Ah, the sweet smell of electrolysis in the morning!

Must keep an eye on that saw or else i'll end up with a razor blade again.

You a user rather than a collector Bart?

Tom

Tom you got it all wrong as you learn how to use these tools your the one that get used. The tools all by them selves don't do darn thing.

I am in the user collector category. I have been thinking of making boxes to learn to use these tools making different joints & flattening panels etc. I just wish these tools could talk, the stories they could tell.

Last edited: