Small Hackberry Bowl

Dave Hoskins

A lot of people don't like hackberry, but I do. It's an attractive wood and sells well. This particular bowl has some small knots on the lip that I left to give a bit more of a rustic look. I like the color of the wood. One thing that I have found out, by sheer accident is that if you keep the ends of the log sealed, the longer the log sits out in the weather the better the wood looks. It is a soft, fibrous wood and can be hard to get a smooth surface on but I think it is worth the effort. Just takes a bit more sanding to get there. I sealed the wood with my usual walnut oil and it was finished with about 4 coats of a 50/50 mixture of walnut oil and shellac. It's 9 1/2" in diameter, has a height of 3" with a depth of 2". Hope you like it.

Hackberry is one of my favorite woods to work with... you never know what you'll find inside. I have a whole tree laying outside my shop... just hope I can get to all of it before it rots. Hackberry bowls are some of my best sellers.

Dave,
Not to hijack your thread, but this is why I like to work with Hackberry... they were all turned last year or year before and have long been sold, but I never know what I'll find inside a Hackberry log. The second and third pictures are of a bowl that looked as if it was turned from pheasant feathers.

10-1838_3.jpg10-1836_3.jpg10-1836_4.jpg10-1838_0.jpg10-1838_2.jpg

No problem, Chuck. Hijack away! Those are some danged fine examples of this unpredictable wood. I love the stuff. From what I can tell, when the monsoon season stops for a bit and my buddy and I can get some wood acquisition done, I'll be bringing an estimated 5 tons of it back to my log yard. Not solid numbers as it is all storm damaged trees. Might be a bit less.