Rain, rain...sometimes it's just peaceful to listen to.

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Rain made for a peaceful afternoon beating on the shop roof. Had planned to work on some projects in the house, but ended up watching the grandson all weekend, so got a little of this in while he was napping.
2015-05-24 14.09.21.jpg2015-05-24 14.09.32.jpg

I've been saving casings for my pistols for the last 5 years, wasn't cost effective to reload them. I have quite a stock and pretty cost effective to load now. ;)

I love to reload if powder wasn't hanging out with all the Unicorns. Have everything but the powder :(. Started raining steadily about an hour into my Red Tail ale brew...it survived!

Some rain would be nice, it threatened over the weekend but nothing near us.

Since they're rimfire, .22 casings can't be (practically) reloaded. The primer needs to be replaceable for a casing to be reloadable.

22 is actually sort of a manufacturing nightmare:
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/9/10/the-impossible-22-rimfire/

However someone actually sells a kit (apparently there were nicer ones in the 30's but still a bit dubious safety and cost wise):
http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

Frankly the idea of having to handle the priming compound like that creeps me out, I don't even like handling regular primers so you sure won't see me trying it!!

A reasonable alternative is some of the high velocity pump up 22 air rifles, there are some pretty interesting things out there in that regard.

Darren what size casings are those? Looks like 9mm to me or i am guessing .38?

BTW would you ever consider reloading .22 casings? Is it worth it?

They are 9mm, I'm planning to load for my .380's and .45's as well, just haven't saved up as many casings for either yet. I know a few folks that do reload their .22 casings, but mostly just because they can and enjoy reloading that much. I'm still buying .22's weekly at about $3 - $4 a box (of 50, limit 2 boxes a day). Seems like production of them is slowly catching up and they are becoming available more and more, just not sure we'll see the prices go back down to what they were a few years back.

Ryan, I've only had one primer ever go off on me and I admit I was doing something stupid at the time using a dental pick to remove a crushed one that didn't go in right, trying to salvage a casing...I got it out though. However I was living in my apartment at the time reloading in my garage at midnight. I'm sure it made the neighbors think there was a drug deal going bad downstairs from them. ;)

Though I've got a progressive press, I tend to do my reloading in steps. Typically I'll clean old cases, then run them through the resizing/decapping die, hand resize if needed, clean again, then hand prime all of them, then do powder, bullet, and crimp in the last operation. I find breaking up the operations helps with isolate a igniting primer from being anywhere around powder since I empty and clean the press and workstation between loading.

I love being quiet and listening the the rain. In the shop I will have the doors open and maybe do some painting.

I've been known to go out and sit in our RV trailer when it is raining just to listen to it on the roof and do some quiet thinking. Very relaxing.

I love sitting under a shelter listening to the rain and drinking coffee. Peace!

I'm with you guys...nothing like relaxing in the camper and just listening. BTW, we've gotten a whopping 2.09 inches this month so far. I know most of you laugh, but that is almost half of what we get each year...have been loving the almost daily rain of late. Today we had this big, bright yellow ball out in the sky. Haven't seen it for a while. Not sure what it is :wave:

I find breaking up the operations helps with isolate a igniting primer from being anywhere around powder since I empty and clean the press and workstation between loading.

:D A little caution is smart! My point stands about dealing with priming compound directly without the nice little primer casing around them (which I treat with plenty of respect as well). Not saying its not doable but I just don't see the cost vs the benefit being worth the risk and effort with 22's. I guess if its really your thing.. but not for me at this point in time.

Brent, really don't need to look at that right now :rolleyes: I keep eying the pre-charged pneumatics, a bit on the pricy side though.