When Worlds Collide

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Most of you know that two of my hobbies are woodturning and guitar playing. Yesterday, those two hobbies kind of mingled. ;)

A few months ago, a family friend (Deanna) offered to pay me to teach her fiancee (Peitre) guitar lessons. He had gotten a guitar for Christmas, and had never played before. Since I'm about 30 years rusty when it comes to teaching, I told her I'd be glad to do the lessons, but I wasn't going to charge her anything. I told her she could owe me a favor or dinner or something.

Yesterday Deanna and Peitre dropped by our house for a few minutes to drop this off as a thank you for the lessons. They had visited Albuquerque Exptic Hardwoods (the only source in town for retail turning wood) with the intention of finding something for me. After looking through the choices for about 45 minutes, Peitre couldn't decide on a turning blank, so he opted to purchase a gift certificate instead. After they left, Deanna decided that they couldn't just bring a gift certificate, so they went back and she picked out a sweet 8x8 piece of big leaf maple burl. :thumb:

It's still going to be a while before I have a shop set up and able to turn the blank into something pretty, but this nice piece of wood (and some spending money for more) will be a good motivator to get things set up. :D

Guitar%20Lesson%20Gift.jpg