Mountain Cedar Display Bowl

Dave Hoskins

This type of bowl I normally don't fool with, but as I kept taking more and more of the wood off getting past knot holes, the more interesting it was looking. So I kept at it and this is what I came out with. I am rather happy with it because I am definitely a rustic kind of guy! And this is definitely rustic. it is 11 1/4" in overall diameter, has a height of 2 3/4" with a depth of 1 3/4". I didn't show the bottom for who knows what reason. Some of the knot holes you can see all the way through and one I can get two fingers through. Has a natural edge, bark, knots, knot holes. A rustic fan's dream. I saturated 2 coats of walnut oil on it and let them soak in. Then I brushed on 2 coats of my walnut oil/shellac mixture. I tried putting it on in my usual manner while it was spinning and my fingers kept catching on the knot holes and that did not feel very good. So, I brushed it on, let it dry and then buffed it. Hope you like it. It is definitely different.

Beautiful Dave! Finish works great and the form you picked shows off all the fun stuff! Perfect home for M &M's...but soup...maybe not ;)

Hi Jim! No, no soup for sure. I suppose you can put anything you want in it as long as it's not liquid. Mashed taters would work in it as well, I think. Anyway, glad you liked it. With all those knots the way they were it was pucker time here and there. Was not always sure that it was going to hold together. Thanks, again.

Pieces like that seem popular around my part of the woods, they aren't really my ball of wax either but they are kind of a fun challenge to turn. I do like the shape on this one a lot, it has a nice even curve and the grain in the wood is pretty darn nice as well!

Thanks, guys. Definitely bananas or apples or something. This kind of bowl is definitely a challenge. Never knew really what was going to happen with it until I was finished.