Name Plaque for Friends

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Bobbie and I are driving to San Antonio, Texas in a few days for my granddaughter's HS graduation. We'll be staying with old friends who also live there; he's going through treatments for cancer and she's not in great shape. I wanted to make a little something for them and, after viewing Leo's video about doing his "Family" plaque, what I came up with is shown below.

Plaque_SMB_a.jpg

I wanted to use a light colored wood, so I used some clear pine and glued up two lengths to get the width I needed. I cut a piece of adhesive-backed vinyl paint mask and carefully applied it to the board as I removed the backing.

I did the cut in two steps. First, the frame was formed using a point cutting round over bit. Next, I mounted a 1/2" 90° V bit to create the field lettering and graphics. After separating the plaque from the board, I sanded the edges, then sprayed it with EM1028 in which I put several colors of Transtint dyes to get a warm dark brown. I let the sealer firm up for a couple of hours, then pealed off the vinyl mask.

Plaque_SMB_c.jpgPlaque_SMB_b.jpgPlaque_SMB_d.jpg

Now, as much discussion as there has been about CNC software, the way I started this is a bit different. I knew I could use F-Engrave to create the V-carve code for the field using a bitmap file. I've used PrintMaster for decades to make posters, cards, etc., so I started my initial layout on it. Combining various text and graphic elements is what PM is all about, so I got what I wanted with a little help from Bobbie on some of the wording. I tweaked the layout a couple of times, then got what I needed from F-Engrave. I used SketchUp/SketchUcam to create the frame. After verifying all dimensions, I set up Universal Gcode Sender to run the frame code first, then changed bits and had it run the field code.

Edit: I sprayed a couple of topcoats of EM6000 semi-gloss.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed!

Last edited:
very well done Bill. You sure showing just what is possible with that CNC machine. Great idea to put the vinyl down dont know if that is your innovation or standard fair but clever idea. Really great gift nothing like it to be had for the occasion. I am sure it will get a special place in your friends home.:thumb:

very well done Bill. You sure showing just what is possible with that CNC machine. Great idea to put the vinyl down dont know if that is your innovation or standard fair but clever idea. Really great gift nothing like it to be had for the occasion. I am sure it will get a special place in your friends home.:thumb:

Thanks, Rob!

Using vinyl paint mask is a standard process. Leo explains it much better in his thread here.