Another good use of bar clamps...

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
So my wheel barrel had sat with some left over concrete bags in it over the winter. The tire has always had a slow, slow leak on it, and I found it not only flat, but popped off it's rim this time. It's a tubeless tire, so in order to use it I had to get the tire seated back on the rim. Usually I'll pull the schrader valve and give it a quick blast of air while squeezing in on two sides of the tire, but that wasn't doing the trick this time. After about 20 minutes of trying this over and over I had just about resolved myself to removing the tire to work on it or just go get another as I had concrete that needed mixing.

The over winter sitting had left the tire with a crease on one side and I simply didn't have enough hands to squeeze it in all directions and give it a blast of air at the same time. I got the idea to try this, and bam! it worked!

2015-05-30 16.13.58.jpg

Nice.

What I've done in the past is to take a piece of rope, tie it around the tire, then put a stick under the rope and start twisting the stick around the rope to tighten the rope up all around the tire.

And then there are the guys that spray a shot of starting fluid in the tire and lite it on fire.

Good idea. I've been replacing all of my intermittent use tires with run flats cause I got sick of dealing with them. But still have a few left that ain't so may have to borrow this once those tools roll out.

I have also used my belt in place of rope. It is always handy and the belt buckle serves as comes long. Won't work if you have small waist.
Just saying.
David

I got tired of having this same problem and put a tube in my wheelbarrow tire and in the little trailer tires that I tow behind my lawn mower/tractor, but still have to pump it up about ever other time I use it... I think the valve stem has a slow leak.... I also put tubes in all of my lawn mower tires... definitely got tired real quick of always having a flat on that... Now I just have to jump start it about every third month...