It's Friday! 6/5/2015 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's come around again, looks like rain off an on again for the next week for us, but at least the temps are going up, might be able to start using the pool finally. I've got some new reloading toys to mess with this weekend, so hoping to hang some shelves and build out some fixtures to put some of my dies and supplies on. Will probably go order my tankless water heater this weekend and start preparing for it's install. Need to clean up the garage a little and get things back in order out there.

What's everyone else got going on?

Which brand of water heater are you going for? I am in a waiting pattern (again!) with the house. So this weekend is work as usual and a bit of clean up around here. Been gone half the month so I am behind. Good thing I am not a clean freak. But there is a limit.

Family movie night at home tonight...not sure what we will be watching. The wife and the girl picked something out today. Tomorrow I have another show so that will be most of the day...the wife is going to be with me at the show this time around. Might have something to do with the fact a beer garden, with all the local brews being offered, will be about 15ft away.:rolleyes: Sunday will be yard work if and some shop clean up....no shows until this fall so I need to get cracking on some house projects! :D

No shop time until maybe late Sunday after we get back home.

We've been in Texas for a few days and attended my granddaughter's HS graduation. There were 750 in her class, so the program took a while but it was worth it to be here for her!

Saturday morning, we'll get an early start from our friend's home, drop by to pick up my granddaughter and head back home with a stop in Baton Rouge overnight.

We should be home by mid-afternoon Sunday, then the Summer fun begins! It's gonna be interesting having a 19 year old with us all Summer!!!

On a rather somber note, our friends are dealing with a more serious situation than we had been led to believe. She has her problems but his cancer is the major factor. According to what she knows from the doctors, he might not last through December. This might be the last time we see him, unfortunately. Positive thoughts and good vibes for Sam will be appreciated.

Going to help unload a 10bbl brewery tonight probably if it gets here on time.

No its not mine, but I am loaning out some rigging equipment to help and I did help the fellow who's doing it make his very first batch of beer two years ago so I feel somewhat involved (besides it might be the first local brewery actually in my town instead of just really close so it seems like a good idea to be on his good side :D).

Likely more cleanup over the rest of the weekend, but that might involve using some fresh wood to make a storage unit so.. yaah!?

I finally got what Ive been waiting for for a long time.
Not grandchildren, but the closest thing to it.
My nephew had a new girl last month, I was in the hospital when she was born, I held her 2 hours after she was born, incredible to me, since when I had kids, no one except the parents were allowed to handle the baby in the hospital.
My build list in the past month skyrocketed.
She has an older brother, 9, who lives with my nephew, and he is also what Ive been waiting for, already diaper trained, can tie his own shoes, and I can have fun with him.
Not this weekend, but I planned some exciting stuff for me and him, man, I miss having young children.Im going to spoil them rotten, don't care what anyone says, its a privilege of getting old.
this weekend, Im continuing the build of a bookcase/cabinet for his lego collection. I will work on it as much as possible tomorrow, and sunday, possibly go visit them sunday, as the joy I get from holding the baby is indescribable.Total joy.Its hard to give her back.

The cabinet is maple plywood, (got it real cheap), and Im using cherry face frame and cherry ply/solid frame on sides to make it look nicer.I had to tweak the mommies measurements to get in on the plywood I had in stock, and I ran into a problem, the cherry ply I had was only 64 inches long, so I had to increase the width of the rails to make sure the panels were small enough for the cherry ply I had in house.

Just started yesterday, making good progress.

heres a pic of where Im at with cabinet, and ofcourse, the most beautiful princess on earth. Isabelle.(about 2 weeks old in that picture)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 23
  • isabelle 024.jpg
    isabelle 024.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 20
Nice work on the shelving Allen, also can see the attraction to the little bug, she looks sweet. My kids were 4 & 8 when I met their mom, so having the grandson around from the time he's been born has been an amazing experience. Every day, seeing the little things that makes his eyes light up when he learns something new. Seeing the thoughts in his eyes when he's thinking about doing something. He's been climbing for the last few weeks, this week was the first he's learned the tricks to getting down from everything, simply fearless (of course papa is there to catch him too).

Finish my machine cabinet upgrade - nothing really fancy mind you.

Try to fine adjust my new CNC pendant - fine control sucks.

Do a bit of programming on the Tattoo sign. I don't have approval from the city historic district yet. Customer said GO.

I also have another request for a humming bird.

I got a request for a quickie sign for an Assisted Living Home but no official word yet.

I need to do a bit of cleanup in the shop.

I finally got what Ive been waiting for for a long time.
Not grandchildren, but the closest thing to it.
My nephew had a new girl last month, I was in the hospital when she was born, I held her 2 hours after she was born, incredible to me, since when I had kids, no one except the parents were allowed to handle the baby in the hospital.
My build list in the past month skyrocketed.
She has an older brother, 9, who lives with my nephew, and he is also what Ive been waiting for, already diaper trained, can tie his own shoes, and I can have fun with him.
Not this weekend, but I planned some exciting stuff for me and him, man, I miss having young children.Im going to spoil them rotten, don't care what anyone says, its a privilege of getting old.
this weekend, Im continuing the build of a bookcase/cabinet for his lego collection. I will work on it as much as possible tomorrow, and sunday, possibly go visit them sunday, as the joy I get from holding the baby is indescribable.Total joy.Its hard to give her back.

The cabinet is maple plywood, (got it real cheap), and Im using cherry face frame and cherry ply/solid frame on sides to make it look nicer.I had to tweak the mommies measurements to get in on the plywood I had in stock, and I ran into a problem, the cherry ply I had was only 64 inches long, so I had to increase the width of the rails to make sure the panels were small enough for the cherry ply I had in house.

Just started yesterday, making good progress.

heres a pic of where Im at with cabinet, and ofcourse, the most beautiful princess on earth. Isabelle.(about 2 weeks old in that picture)

Congratulations Allen! You are definitely in your happy place!!

Weekend plans? NOT driving a twenty year old pickup to Calgary :)

Clean up time. Shop needs real good blow out. Took 2 barrels out yesterday and more today. It's hot so go slow.
NASCAR Sunday after church. Maybe a little gardening need to get some mulch out.
Best weekend to all. May it be all you want and need.
David

Late to the party, but this has become the Yard Sale weekend. We'd originally planned to do it last weekend, but decided we'd rather spend one more week sorting through boxes o' stuff. Today (Saturday) we did manage to sell some of it off and free up some space, although we still have plenty more stuff to offer for sale Sunday. Anything I can do to free up space in the garage (er...shop) is a good thing, so I can get my tools out of storage and set up a proper shop again.

One thing I did last week to free up some room was I sold my Performax 16-32 drum sander and the cabinet it was mounted to. It was a great tool, but over the course of about 5 years, I used it on a sum total of 4 cutting boards, and I'd rather have the space than a tool I'm never going to use. Plus, I sold it to a good friend/family member (my brother-in-law's brother-in-law) and can visit it any time I need. :thumb:

must be the season Vaughn, 3 neighbors within 200 feet of me are having garage sales this weekend, 2 yesterday, and the same 2 and one other this morning.
Ive been thinking about my 22-44 sander also, selling it .
I purchased it mainly for table top surfaces, and Ive used it 10-15 times since I purchased it, but now I have no large panels or tops to make in the immediate future, and even if I did have one or two, I know for a fact I can have a cabinet shop near me sand it for a few bucks.
Im sure I could get 600-800 bucks for it with the extra belts, so Ive been giving it some thought
Id feel foolish selling it and then needing it in 3 months, but its all that space and money just sitting there waiting for that one or two more uses I might need it for.
Most of my solid panels for cabinet or furniture doors, are never wider than 13 inches, and that I can run through the planer and then have to use the orbital in the end anyway.

IM headed out to two arts and crafts fairs locally this morning. Not motivated to work on shelving unit, maybe Ill find some woodworker hawking bowls or cutting boards, always good to chat with them.