Octagon Bodark Candy/Nut Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Did this one today. Had some other pieces of wood end up not being suitable for working with so ended up with only this project done today. And it was rather cantankerous to say the least. Mainly in the foot area where there is some cracking that I reinforced with superglue. There was a crack that actually was kinda neat looking but it went all the way through. So, first I sealed it with glue and natural dust, then added some crushed turquoise stone to it for appearance reasons. Due to the way the crack was in the base I didn't go quite as deep hollowing the bowl out as I might have normally. I let an extra 1/4" remain for solidness. I will be working on nothing but stock items for the next few days so I might not be putting anything else on for a bit. This one measures 10 1/4" in diameter, 2 1/2" high, and 1 1/2" deep. As usual I sealed the wood with walnut oil and then polished it with a walnut oil/shellac mixture. Hopes ya like it.

I like this one a lot more than the last one, mostly because of the bottom :D. The turquoise was a nice touch on the repair job, stands out nice in this wood!

I'm trying to decide if I'd like it better with the rim being a constant thickness (essentially undercut it a bit past the points) or if that would end up making it look "wavy". Not sure....