I learned Something New

Charles Hans

I guess we are never too old to learn, I ran across this today and discovered that I have been installing these inserts wrong for a long time. How many of you knew this and never bothered to tell me?? :knock::knock: I tried using the slots to install them with a screw driver, and could never get it why one of the ears would break off
After seeing this it does make a lot of sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIhEqoKE8Dc

Last edited:
well apparently they do.

You can use the slotted installation or the bolt installation. Either is OK and correct. The Manufacturer also sells an installation tool to drive via the slot.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Heh, figured that out last year. Never had any luck driving them into harder woods and sort of half figured it out on my own out of frustration and then say someone explain that the slot helps cut the thread which was a real :doh: moment for me as well :D

The other thing I found with these is that there are two kinds of outside threads, one is coarser and has a sharper edge the other is more like a machine screw thread. The coarser one has proven much easier to drive and less likely to split the wood. Of coarse the other one is what seems to be easier to find..

When the drill press doesn't work, I use a home made installation tool. Use it with a ratchet wrench and it works fine.

20150614_115011.jpg

I just use a cut off bolt with a couple nuts doubled up against a washer and the DP as shown. Runs 'em in true every time. I guess we were all keepin' it a secret from you Charles . . . you know . . . power trip :D:D:D

insert tool.jpg

Last edited:
I've always bought threaded inserts that can be mounted using a hex wrench. A drop of CA glue as the last couple of threads go in keeps them in place.

I've been installing them using the method in the video for many years.

I've also just used the bolt & wrench while putting a bit of (manual) downforce on the bolt's head.

Never had one come out, though, Bill. Never needed (or thought about using) the CA.

... Never had one come out, though, Bill. Never needed (or thought about using) the CA.

The only time I've had one come out is on my router bench where I install and remove my fence frequently.

Btw, got your PM about my signature line. I edited a couple of things in my profile and now all kinds of things are messed up in it - can't send a reply there.

All is good on my profile once I got the verification email.

Last edited: