Dust Collectors

Mike Turner

I have a small 20 x 20 shop and am needing to seriously think about some type of dust collection..The main tools used inside the shop are my lathe,bandsaw and mitersaw..(No more than I use my router table and my table saw I take them outside).

Anyhow I need to decide what would suit me best and would be able to add to other tools in the future if I need to.I cant really spend a whole lot on this right now so have to keep cost in mind too.Thanks!!

Just a caution, lathes and mitersaws are 2 of the most difficult tools to manage in terms of DC (IMHO). I completely gave up on the mitersaw after trying about 4 ways of doing it. I think a fairly large hood would be best, but didn't have room for as large as it would take in my place. Also, my threw dust out the bottom and I couldn't catch it. As for the lathe I've used a big gulp on it while sanding and it was acceptable but chips are another story. I just put a floor sweep in behind the lathe and use it. The HF unit is indeed lauded by a lot of guys, you typically have to upgrade the filtration but it seems to be up in the "best buy" category. As you compare it to other models just keep in mind the HF 2 HP is more like 1.5 HP, and it has a 10" impeller . Most models with a 1.5 HP motor have an 11", and the 2 HP models typically have a 12". Impeller size is very important for max air flow.

First a disclaimer of sorts -- Congrats on addressing dust collection as a priority. As Fred said, lathes and mitersaws are subjects of endless discussion and variations of approach when it comes to trying to catch the dust regardless of the machine providing the airflow. It is an exercise in frustration to try to make these machines dust-free. It is a very good idea to try to catch as much as you can. Despite good dust collection, I wear a respirator when operating either of these tools. Even more important in a smaller confined space.

Now back to the question; dust collection is one of the most important decisions you will make about your shop. The hardware can get expensive but, that cost is negligible if you end up with a respiratory issue for the rest of your life. Get the best system you can afford. Speaking of which, money is nearly always a concern so let's ask a few questions:
- what is your budget?
- can you vent outside?
- what is your ceiling height?

The other guys are on target about a good starter DC and it could be all you ever need. As to specific tools, the photo below shows what I did for my miter saw, which I use a lot.

09gMSBench.jpg

This takes up little more than the footprint of the saw itself. Since I have the space in my new shop, I built the enclosure with a cutout behind the saw and a ramp below it. My previous shop was a two-car garage where I used this same saw with a similar enclosure with a 4" DC line going into the side of it. Both arrangements work great.

I have the Harbor Freight "2 HP" (yeah, right) DC with a Wynn pleated filter and an internal Thein baffle. It has served me well, and I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth. I use a Big Gulp scoop at the lathe, but I only use it when sanding. When I'm cutting, I let the chips fall (or fly, actually) where they may and I clean them up later.