Bodark Mortar & Pestle

Dave Hoskins

OK, guys. I want you to know this did not happen easily. This wood was dried out and hard as granite. This set did not happen in an hour. More like 2 1/2 hours. The pestle came from 2 tries. But, I sometimes like to do something shaped different from the ordinary so here this is. So ya know the mortar is 4 1/4" diameter, 2 1/4" high, and 1 1/4" deep. I would have gone a little bit deeper but something in the wood just kept on catching so I stopped where I was. Did not matter if I used a heavy scraper or gouge. The pestle is 4" long and on the grinding end it is 1 1/4" in diameter. I burned the lines using an old 1/2" skew I keep around just for this purpose. I usually burn the lines with it spinning around 1200. The finish is my usual. Sealed with walnut oil and polished with my walnut oil/shellac mixture. Hopes ya likes it.

Dave,
When I grow up, hope I can do as well you with my turnings.... love Bodark.

My last mortar and pestle was turned out of a chunk of white oak that had been sitting a while... I do more the apothecary style....
31-1953_4.jpg31-1953_0.jpg31-1953_3.jpg

Thanks again. Yes, Frank. I know it turns colors. I always thought it more a burnt orange color, but hey! It definitely changes color in time depending on how much exposure to air it gets. I like that style as well, Chuck. I do them all different kinds of ways. Just whatever hits me while I'm turning.

Thanks again. Yes, Frank. I know it turns colors. I always thought it more a burnt orange color, but hey! It definitely changes color in time depending on how much exposure to air it gets. I like that style as well, Chuck. I do them all different kinds of ways. Just whatever hits me while I'm turning.

Not picking nits.....well, maybe I am.....:rolleyes: But, it is exposure to light that makes the color change.

OK, Frank. OK. But, seeing neither of us are speaking the total picture, let it be known. It is technically an oxidation process on the wood that air and light expedite. At least that is what a source of folks smarter than me say it is.

OK, Frank. OK. But, seeing neither of us are speaking the total picture, let it be known. It is technically an oxidation process on the wood that air and light expedite. At least that is what a source of folks smarter than me say it is.

For the sake of discussion ;) I used to participate in a pen turning forum where this was discussed quite a bit. And, I have read up on the subject. Plus, I do quite a bit of work with OO. My experience is it is the light that is the villian. A good example is a shop pencil I made for myself. It is kept in the pencil pocket of my work apron, only a little bit at the top sticks out. Except for when in use, it stays in that pocket. The bright orange did sorta 'tan' quickly after turning, as does all OO. But, except for that it has remained almost unchanged for the past ten years since almost no light ever reaches it. BTW, as far as I have been able to determine, there is no way to stop the process. Some say marine varnishes with UV protectants will do the job. But, that only slows the process very slightly.

I'll tell you guys what. Everybody has their sources and opinions. They are certainly entitled to that. Whether we agree with each other or not is totally irrelevant. So, maybe it is best that everybody considers it a win and go on about their doings.

It's not about winning, and I'm always willing to admit when I'm incorrect. But I'm pretty passionate about helping folks by having correct information posted here on the forum. ;)

I realize it's not a vital issue, but when something is posted as fact, it's helpful to the novices here if the statement is indeed correct. I posted sources to back up my statement, and Frank posted personal experience (his shop pencil). Yes, oxygen is a component of any oxidation process, but in the case of osage orange, UV light plays the major role. And that's not my opinion, it's a well-established fact. You're welcome to post sources to contradict that.

I agree that information should be correct. Absolutely. I have worked with bodark off and on since the late 1950's, so maybe, just maybe I know something about it. I am posting two simple sources of information, one which I consider rather strong; Texas A&M University. You can debate them all that your desire, but I use them all the time for information. You can take my sources or not.

Wood Web
Question
Freshly cut Osage orange (bois d'arc, bodark, Maclura pomifera) has an unusual and beautiful yellowish color that soon darkens, often to a boring brown. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can arrest this color change? I need to be able to sell my pieces without concern that the customer will return later with a complaint that the color and contrast that caught their eye to begin with has now faded away. Is it UV related? If so, can someone recommend any UV blocking finishes that can be applied easily in the small shop? Or is it a chemical reaction, perhaps with oxygen in the air, or with an ingredient in the finish? Thanks for any advice.
Forum Responses
(Furniture Making Forum)
From Professor Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor:
There is no way. The color oxidizes immediately upon exposure to air and light accelerates the process oftentimes.
- See more at: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Osage_Orange_Color_Changes.html#sthash.q4h9QUKY.dpuf

Texas A&M University/List of Trees
Wood is heavy, exceedingly hard, and very durable in contact with the soil. The heartwood is bright orange in color, turning brown upon exposure to the air. It is largely used for fenceposts.
http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=61&t=B

I don't know if the links work unless you just copy and paste them.

The color oxidizes immediately upon exposure to air and light accelerates the process oftentimes.

We don't know "professor" Wengert qualifications. But, he essentially supports what I said about my pencil (and hundreds of other items I have made from OO). It almost immediately acquires a 'tan' then will proceed to darken. The darkening is dependant on exposure to light and is a constant, not "oftentimes". I always tell the receipient of an item made from OO that it will turn walnut dark, not "boring brown". As with similar discussions on the subject at the pen making forum, the talk can go on infinauseum. Something like Wal-Mart, WD-40, Festool, etc. :deadhorse:

Having worked with O O in the past, yes it does darken. Question is yellow heart the same breed of cat under a different name? Have not worked or used this but I have seen it in projects. Does it darken as well? Would like to see a yellow wood without the darkening. Who really cares why the stuff does what it does, it just do.

David

Anyway....don't know how I missed this one! Really cool shape and it should hold up well to a beating...even if it turns purple. We'll done David!