A question for Lora or anyone that can help.

I'm planning to make a relief carving that depicts two people inside a room, with some pieces of furniture and other objects on the walls.

My doubt is how to carve the the three lines A-B-C that give the sense of prespective. I mean, if the floor of the room starts at the most Forefront level as well as the right wall, should I carve an inclined plane from the Forefront level to the farther background level which is the back wall?. As you can see low relief carving is more difficult to me than on the round.

If not how do I give that depth perspective feeling to the whole scene?
I understand that the two persons 1 & 2 should be at diferent levels as they are not on the same depth plane.
I'm including some sketches and a 3D for clarity.

Any hint will be appreciated.

drawing.jpgrelief.jpg

Last edited:
here's my 2 cents toni. if you're not planning on extending this shadowbox into the great distance, but only for the depth of what could be considered only one room, i don't think that perspective will play much, if any, part in this.

Toni, I would suggest that you carve the room scene straight on into the wood, without any adjustments for perspective. When the carving is done the viewer's eye will create the perspective as they move in front of the work.

In the spring house scene I worked the depth straight on from the front center point of the design. If you, the viewer, move to the left, the perspective changes naturally into a left to right view of the scene.

Hope this helps! Lora

Attachments

• levels3.jpg
    levels3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 26
  • levels2.jpg
    levels2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 25
  • levels1.jpg
    levels1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 24
Thanks a lot Lora. Do you mean that I should not carve the wall lines at all? FYI I include a pic of a similar scene to the one I want to do, they are taken from a comic strip

pic1.jpg.
So in this case, wouldyou define three levels? Forefront for the chimmney, second the two people and background third? What disorients me is the fact that the floor goes from the very back wall to the very front, and I can't figure out how to carve it without giving the impression that the figures are floating in the air.

If it were me, I would carve the side walls. But I would make he back wall perhaps 1/4" to 3/8" shorter than the front opening. That way you don't have one side wall that is at a 90 degree angle and the other at a 25 degree. Instead, make both walls slope ever so slightly and at the same angle.

Lora

So as if it was drawn in conical perspective wasn't it? I've made a 3D drawing with several viewpoints to illustrate if this is what you mean.
r4.jpgrelief2.jpgr3.jpgr5.jpg

Last edited: