another satisfied customer

allen levine

Im not sure if I can call him a customer, he asked me to make him a shelf for his legos, he wanted it next to his desk.
My nephew, married a woman, who from a previous marriage, has 2 sons.
My nephew and bride, just had a baby girl, and that's my grand niece.
Im not sure how to refer to Jay(the older brother is in college), the newborns younger brother, hes really not my nephew(or is he through marriage?), but I told him for now on, he is my nephew, and he should call me uncle.
I think its confusing to him, but he wanted a lego shelf and I was more than happy to oblige.
Cherry frame, 1/4 cherry ply for panels, and I got a good deal on a sheet of maple ply for the inside.
Stained with Minwax Cherry, 2 coats, one week cure, then sprayed with em6000 target satin.2 doors on bottom, 1/2 inch overhang cup hinges.
simple build, its just getting harder and harder for me to move units like this around by myself.

and this morning, like an idiot, I helped my nephew,(hes as strong as an ox, hes in law enforcement), even though he did most of the lifting, they live on the third floor walk up, narrow staircase, and someone as fat, old, crippled as me shouldn't be moving bookcases up 3 flights of stairs, plus the half flight up the driveway stairs.
Last time Im moving anything for anyone, today I made up my mind.

heres my new nephew filling up his unit.

I made him that red biplane a few weeks back out of scrap pine, I painted it some, he did the rest.

Attachments

• legounit 003.jpg
    legounit 003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 72
  • legounit 005.jpg
    legounit 005.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 73
  • legounit 011.jpg
    legounit 011.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 74
even though I seem to be busy as anything, I really haven't posted much work because its been mostly, nearly entirely small stuff, like board after board after board, some trays, bottle stoppers, and a few other small shop items.

every piece I make for a family member I put a little note on the bottom underside.

I always start it by, Made with Love, (insert hardware),(Insert plywood), for my (niece, nephew, etc..)

Everything I make is for family or friends.

Alllen through all the years we have been members here, I notice you have made many many people very happy with your woodworking. Kudos to you, you are a generous man in more ways than I can think of.. I tip my hat to you that young man is going to enjoy that cabinet and the bi plane has a special place. You sure have been one heck of a productive retired woodworker. Seems to me it brings you great pleasure to do these things for people. :thumb: Now who is next on the list. You got your daughters long list completed yet. ?

My daughter thinks her daddy is going to be alive forever.

between what my son is waiting for, and the few items I want to experiment with, Im covered for 1.5 years.

I have as many Adirondack chairs scattered through out the country(east of the Mississippi) as most of the lapps and stolfuss's amish familys in Lancaster Pa.

Last edited:
Nothing to add to what has been said Allen. I would sound repetitive. On the other hand I do feel like Rob, I believe that you get even more pleasure from the fact of giving your pieces than from the making wich also gives you a lot of it.
That only means one thing, that your generosity is as big if not bigger than you.:thumb: