Keezer Build

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
As my Fathers Day gift from my wife, my new freezer was delivered today, which I plan to turn it into a Keezer (kegerator). I ordered the same brand as our other freezer, which the baskets will fit into it from this one as a bonus.
2015-06-30 19.28.47.jpg

I'll use an external thermostat to control the temps, to keep it warmer than the freezer's dial will allow.
2015-06-30 19.41.23.jpg

I setup an account with a local beverage supplier and stopped in and picked up a few pieces of hardware to get most of the project done. I also got a generous donation of a couple of taps from another member here. :thumb:
2015-06-30 19.43.24.jpg

The freezer will hold 4 kegs, but only putting 3 taps on it for now. I plan to use some of the space for storage and cold fermenting from time to time. The supplier had a nice stainless drip tray that was pre-drilled for the taps.
2015-06-30 19.43.31.jpg 2015-06-30 19.43.36.jpg

I also picked up an opener and cap catch bin for the front.
2015-06-30 19.45.03.jpg 2015-06-30 19.45.33.jpg

I'll need to build an expansion ring to go between the lid and freezer box and insulate the ring. I'll start the build this weekend, but in the mean time I plan to use the freezer for defrosting some pork butts and ribs to cook this weekend. ;)

If I ever decide to give up brewing/drinking, I'm not planning to alter the freezer in anyway that can't be reversed and turned back into a freezer.

When u mentioned Keezer last week i had no clue what it meant and had to look it up. Found a great video of how to do it by Northern Brewer on you tube.
So for those like me that did not know here it is.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4
Y
Btw their build also leaves the freezer reversible..
I would love to get into home brewing. First thing i did as part of exploring my new found freedom when coming to Canada was to go to one of these places where they have copper kettles and all the ingredients and you brew your own and can bottle it on site. Was sooooo cool. But i cant drink the quantities of beer that the process produced. I made crates and gave so much away. But not everyone likes craft beer. So what to do with volumes?
Looking forward to your build see how you do it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

So what to do with volumes?

Party! Party! Party! ;)

Actually, I try to keep a couple of kegs of seltzer (carbonated) water on hand as my wife likes to drink it that way, she and my daughter go through a keg in a week. I'll mix some of the soda stream syrups and crystal light with it. I've learned that the beer can sit in the kegs for a long time and just get better tasting. Also, with the water eating up a couple of spots in the current kegerator I just didn't have room for doing any other brews. The main purpose for this one is for storage and fermentation use, but figured a couple of more taps wouldn't hurt either.

The build should be pretty simple, but I'm known for over complicating things too. ;) I do plan for just a mobile base and a simple ring around it. I've got some wide oak planks that I'm thinking about using, but may just go with something painted too.

BTW...checked on the temp this morning and it was right where I set it, 42 degrees and doing a slow defrost on the pork butts and ribs.

Brent i got to thinking about your Keezer, seems to me there was a few taps missing we only had a single brew choice , that said I do recall sampling it frequently, perhaps we could have done with bigger cups. I do know of one character that was put to sleep by the brew though. Seems to me the older one gets the harder it is to stay awake. Jonathan better have a backup for security if he is reliant on that person who shall remain nameless but wore a straw hat.
Darren looks like he is going to be offering more than one option. :rofl:
Guess we will have to have a BW in Kansas some day.

Brent i got to thinking about your Keezer, seems to me there was a few taps missing we only had a single brew choice , that said I do recall sampling it frequently, perhaps we could have done with bigger cups. I do know of one character that was put to sleep by the brew though. Seems to me the older one gets the harder it is to stay awake. Jonathan better have a backup for security if he is reliant on that person who shall remain nameless but wore a straw hat.
Darren looks like he is going to be offering more than one option. :rofl:
Guess we will have to have a BW in Kansas some day.

There were definitely 2 taps on it at that time, but i've since added a third!

Keezers for Geezers

That's either an awesome band name, or a fancy new business opportunity.

4 taps are the optimal number for a home system I've decided, one on soda three on beer.

Just a flash back - here's my last keezer build:
http://getaclue.org/~ryan/beer-freezer/
Its morphed a smidge singe then, I have individual pressure control per tap and actual tap handles on it now :D

Enjoy your new setup Darren! Looks like it'll be a winner :thumb:

You guys crack me up. :rofl:

Today I got started a little later than I planned, but got the ring parts cut out and assembled. The ring is 9 1/2" tall and fits just inside of a little lip that the lid sits on on the top of the freezer box. I went with this height as it will let me fit an extra keg on the bump at the bottom for the compressor.

2015-07-03 17.11.38.jpg

Just used pocket screw construction. Using up some wide red oak planks I bought a few years back.
2015-07-03 17.11.50.jpg

Planning to leave the "character", no wood filler, just a poly coat. May add some vinyl cut-outs after I get it all assembled.
2015-07-03 17.12.02.jpg

I added some cleats around the top to widen where the lid's seal will rest.
2015-07-03 17.43.26.jpg2015-07-03 17.43.31.jpg

I bought some 3/4" Styrofoam for insulation, cuts like butter on the TS. Still need to drill tap holes and figure out some mounting locations, then will make some final cuts on the foam before gluing it in.
2015-07-03 20.25.59.jpg2015-07-03 20.31.52.jpg

I rounded over the edges, still need to sand it all down a little.
2015-07-03 20.32.01.jpg

I also threw together a little base/cart to put it on, just a piece of mdf trimmed out.
2015-07-03 21.31.20.jpg